GIRANDONI SYSTEM AIR RIFLE - Lewis and Clark, etc

Jump to

Author Topic: GIRANDONI SYSTEM AIR RIFLE - Lewis and Clark, etc  (Read 873 times)

Online Steveoh

• Marksman
  • yes
GIRANDONI SYSTEM AIR RIFLE - Lewis and Clark, etc
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
I find this article fascinating. The Girandoni Air Rifle was used by Lewis and Clark. There are other interesting air rifles mentioned. If I were a machinist, I know what my next project would be the WWII example at the bottom of the page.

http://www.beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm

More:
Small | Large

Small | Large

www.lewisandclarktrail.com/lewisairgun.htm

Steveoh
  • Benicia, CA
Things I like:
RWS Diana Model 350 Feuerkraft Compact Pro .22
My 97 Dodge Ram surrounding a Cummins Diesel
Biodiesel
My Home Build Tolman Skiff
QB79 .177 Tuned by Flying Dragon AirRifles
Airgun FPE Calculator

Offline robert w

• when guns are outlawed , only out laws will have guns
  • Old Timers
Re: GIRANDONI SYSTEM AIR RIFLE - Lewis and Clark, etc
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
i always heard lewis and clark used air rifles . now it looks moreso good post steveoh
in 1939 hitler said give up your guns and germany will be a safer place... then a short time after all guns were taken ,he told the jews "board the train" a word in histroy

Offline BerkshireHunter

• Sharp Shooter
  • Pb, Fe, and Au.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
I had seen the 1st vid but not the 2nd -it was pretty good and informative.  :D

Offline Gesshoku

• Sharp Shooter
  • ^ Hike'n AZ
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »
Had heard about their use of air rifles, but never seen an example. Would love to see some modern recreations for sell, even if it's in more common calibers. Love the reloading mechanism.
  • Houma, LA
Mine:
| MM-QB79 .22 | Crosman 400 | TR77 | Titan GP .22 | Striker 1000s .22 | CCS 2300KT | 1322 w/ stock | Crosman 357|
Wife's:
| Crosman 760P | Gamo Lady Recon |

Offline RedFeather

• Old Timers
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Don't believe everything in those clips or on the website.  Beeman has been drumming up support for his own rifle being THE Lewis and Clark air gun.  We have been debating this for a while on the Vintage forum.  I suggest you go there and do a search.

BTW, Beeman calls these "assault rifles".  Hooey!  There is no definitive proof that they were even used in action.  About the best evidence is a reference that they were finally used by the Austrians as defensive weapons when besieged.  Believe me, just about any black powder military arm of the period far and away exceeded the air rifle in terms of fpe.

Offline BALLISTIC1

• Sharp Shooter
  • 513 490 0035 BallisticEnterprise1@gmail.com
Air vs Black Powder....
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:41:59 AM »
Granted FPE is a factor to consider but 15-20 shots per minute as apposed to 1-2 shots per minute does not even compare... Let alone the dirty, nasty, stinking, smoking mess... How many shots is that BP rifle going to shoot before it 'Fouls Out'? ? ? ?  I have Benji/Dans that have NEVER been cleaned in ten years and string shots at 50yds.... WET AIR WORKS WAAAAAY BETTER THAN WET POWDER!!!!!     Greg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:46:36 AM by BALLISTIC1 »
  • Winchester Ohio
GO BALLISTIC!!!!    BE#1

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?