Brass barrel pivot washers

Author Topic: Brass barrel pivot washers  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Treb37

• Plinker
  • Ready!... Fire!.... Aim!
Brass barrel pivot washers
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
After something on the order of 10,000 rounds, the plastic barrel pivot washers on my Nitro Venom finally could take no more. The pivot bolt was as tight as I could get it and still had side play. I could cock then slap the barrel sideways and get it to hit left or right of POI. I picked up a pair of 5/16 brass washers at Lowes the other day thinking it was about time I did that. What an easy thing to do. Just used a dremmel sanding drum and removed a little from the outside edge then cleaned up the faces with 220 grit paper to give it some texture to hold moly paste and wear in. It was a little tighter fit to get them back into the receiver but nothing unreasonable. When first installed I think I may have over tightened the screw thinking it would need to be torqued to the max to get good results. It seems that much less pressure is now needed to keep things in line. After some minor scope adjustments, it seems to be grouping better than ever. I was concerned at first that it was not grouping as well as before but after 100+ shots it seems to have settled in.
  • Greeley Co.
Crosman 760
Crosman 1377
Crosman/Remington Airmaster 77 home tuned
Crosman Nitro venom dusk GRTIII, home tuned
Remington npss .22 home tuned
QB79 /ninja .177 Home tuned 15 fpe
QB78/ ninja .22 full valve mods 25 fpe
1st gen XS60c

Offline twh731

• Shooter
Re: Brass barrel pivot washers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
10,000!  That's a lot of shootin'.  Thanks for the specs on what you used.  I'll look for some next trip to the hardware store.  Tom

Offline gene_sc

• GTA A Cut Above The Rest
  • Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • GTA A Cut Above The Rest- In God We Trust
    • CharlieDaTuna
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
In case you guys did  not know this, I have made the brass breech washers specifically for the Crosman guns.
No more loosely fitting or side play in the barrel/yoke in your Crosman break barrel air guns.

Increase your accuracy.  Precision Fit Breech Yoke Barrel Washers…To Fit Crosman/Benji break barrel airguns including:
Quest. G1. G1 Extreme, Phantom, Titan, Trail NP, Trail XL Series, NPSS, Retay Sport100X/135X.

These yoke pivot washers are CNC machined from brass for a precision fit and designed to last the life of your gun.

http://www.airguntoys.com
Gene
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:40:23 PM by gene_sc »
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline mtbdrew

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
Two brass washers from hardware store, nut and bolt that fits through the center of washers, electric drill, file and some sandpaper. Make sure the bolt is long enough to hold the washers about an inch away from the head of the drill chuck. With both washers on the bolt, screw the nut into place so the washers are locked down to the head of the nut. Put the other end of the bolt into the drill and lock it down. The take the file turn the drill on and take enough off the washers till they match the size of the old plastic one. If you want to make installing easier then hold the file at 45 angle to each side of the brass washer sandwich while the drill is turning. This will give you a nice tapered edge just like the plastic ones have. Use the sandpaper to take any sharp edges off as well as put a little roughness to old Molly. i would suggest some thing finer than 200 grit but that's up to the individual.

• Texas, Rhome
Discovery .22
Hammerli Pneuma .22
Crosman Titan GP .22
TF99 (QB36-1) .177 (Gas Ram converted)
Crosman 1377 converted to .22
Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk .177

Offline dukemeister

• Sharp Shooter
  • Practice hasn't made me perfect
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
Two brass washers from hardware store, nut and bolt that fits through the center of washers, electric drill, file and some sandpaper. Make sure the bolt is long enough to hold the washers about an inch away from the head of the drill chuck. With both washers on the bolt, screw the nut into place so the washers are locked down to the head of the nut. Put the other end of the bolt into the drill and lock it down. The take the file turn the drill on and take enough off the washers till they match the size of the old plastic one. If you want to make installing easier then hold the file at 45 angle to each side of the brass washer sandwich while the drill is turning. This will give you a nice tapered edge just like the plastic ones have. Use the sandpaper to take any sharp edges off as well as put a little roughness to old Molly. i would suggest some thing finer than 200 grit but that's up to the individual.

A,most exactly how I make mine! I put my belt sander upside down in a vice and turn it on, and use it in place of the file. Works great, and washers fit perfectly. The 45 degree bevel does help with installation.
The Gun Whisperer
Duke ))))----//----------==

Offline AirHunter4Ever

• Plinker
  • One Shot, One Kill !
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
In case you guys did  not know this, I have made the brass breech washers specifically for the Crosman guns.
No more loosely fitting or side play in the barrel/yoke in your Crosman break barrel air guns.

Increase your accuracy.  Precision Fit Breech Yoke Barrel Washers…To Fit Crosman/Benji break barrel airguns including:
Quest. G1. G1 Extreme, Phantom, Titan, Trail NP, Trail XL Series, NPSS, Retay Sport100X/135X.

These yoke pivot washers are CNC machined from brass for a precision fit and designed to last the life of your gun.

http://www.airguntoys.com
Gene

I found brass washers at Home Depot for $0.98 per pack of up to 12.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=brass%20washers&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

That is sure a lot cheaper than paying $8.50 for only 2 brass washers.

I don't mind a little extra work to save a few bucks.

• USA
CROSMAN NITRO VENOM .22, Wood Stock / GRT-III
HATSAN 125TH .22

Offline gene_sc

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • CharlieDaTuna
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
Thats ok guys, I have done them by hand myself with my tools but there are some folks who do not pocess the skills or have tools to do them theresleves. I was just pointing out that there were precision washers available and not trying to sell you anything.
Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline thekid

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
I found brass washers at Home Depot for $0.98 per pack of up to 12.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=brass%20washers&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

That is sure a lot cheaper than paying $8.50 for only 2 brass washers.

I don't mind a little extra work to save a few bucks.

Thats ok guys, I have done them by hand myself with my tools but there are some folks who do not pocess the skills or have tools to do them theresleves. I was just pointing out that there were precision washers available and not trying to sell you anything.
Gene
Thats the difference, right there......PRECISION.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:00:29 PM by thekid »

Offline SLJ2137694

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the washer info! It looks like I will have to make my own. I ordered my KIT on 3-19-12 and it hasn't arrived yet!
  • Lehighton, PA

Offline Muppit

• dave
  • Expert
  • g1 extreme NP, Titan GP, 2400kt
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
i have done the home depot version of the barrel pivot washers and got  a set or two from airgun toys both worked well but i don't think the brass washers were of the same quality brass as the ones i got from air gun toys. the home made ones wore out quickly for some reason....
kill count
0 red squarrels
4 starlings
1 gray squarrel

Offline Paul68

• Why in the heck did you move here? There's nothing out here!" They say. "EXACTLY" I say
  • Old Timer
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
I went the homemade Lowes washers route, and found the brass washers wore too quickly despite polishing, drilling for lube retention etc. Ended up using Zinc.
  • North Carolina
Requisite Bragging List:
Diana 350 Magnum from Mike Melick
Flying DragonXS60C PCP
Flying Dragon Gas Ram XS46u
Mike Melick Tuned XS28M
Mike Melick Tuned AR2000 Jet
Ruger Air Hawk Self Tuned,
Beeman 1051 RS2 Self Tuned
StormXT Self Tuned
Cro

Offline gene_sc

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • CharlieDaTuna
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
I sent you a PM regarding your original transaction number. I truly am sorry if I missed your order. Let me know and I will send your kit out ASAP.
Gene

Thanks for the washer info! It looks like I will have to make my own. I ordered my KIT on 3-19-12 and it hasn't arrived yet!

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Co-Founder/Administrator
    • CharlieDaTuna.com
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
For what it's worth, I will tell you guys something. Precision is everything. ;D ;D There is a huge difference and wear factor using a precision CNC machined and beveled brass washer and one made on the bench using a low quality metal whether brass, zinc or steel.  :o  Zinc or steel should never be used on most guns.

A machined washer will normally last forever. ;)  Hand carved don't usually hold up well, are not precise fitting and will not pull down or seat evenly on the yoke which in turn can have an impact on accuracy and wear and tear on the pivot bushing that the bolt itself rides in.  :( :'(

It is well worth paying a few dollars for quality for something that will last the life of your gun.  ;D ;D

CDT
  • Simpsonville,  SC
-----
I DO NOT ANSWER GENERAL AIRGUN QUESTIONS IN PM'S SO DO NOT PM ME WITH AG QUESTIONS.

Bob aka: CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III --- GRT-4G TRIGGER --- CBR TRIGGER
http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III%20Trigger%20New.htm
http://www.charliedatuna.com/GRT-4G.htm

Home of the NPSS-NP (CBR) Triggers:
http://www.charliedatuna.com/NPSS%20non%20PP.htm

E-Mail: CDT22@Frontier.com

Offline SLJ2137694

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
Thanks CDT! When I get my washer kit I will also install the trigger I got from you. I am sure I will enjoy the gun even more!
  • Lehighton, PA

Offline Nate the airgunner

• Nathan
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »
I got mine from gene. Easy to install and not too expensive.
  • Villa Ridge Missouri
Nationally competitive Expert shooter in JROTC

Benjamin 392
Benjamin 397
Crosman 1377
Crosman Storm XT
Crosman 2240
Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 (home tuned)
Crosman Challenger (JROTC rifle)

Wish list:
Beeman R9 .20
Crosman M4-177

Offline PyroMonkey

• Plinker
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
do you need a spring compressor to install barrel pivot washers?  I've never tuned a gun before so I'm a bit of a newb.
  • NC
2014 Hunt Chart:

Rifle               .22 Discovery       .177 NPSS              .177 Powerline 901
Squirrels         100
HOSP              000
Crow              000

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • Expert
  • Infantry, 101st ABN DIV 2002-2013
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
You do not need a compressor for it!

Matt
  • Clarksville, Tennessee
Mrod .25,Self tuned 10# spring, 6 inch Gaska tube extension, 3 inch shroud extension, high cheek rest, Mueller 8-32x44MM Tactical Side Focus

SYNROD .25, Self Tuned, 10# spring with CP 4-16x40 AO IR

possums: 21
coons: 9

Offline PyroMonkey

• Plinker
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
You do not need a compressor for it!

Matt

Awesome!  Thanks
  • NC
2014 Hunt Chart:

Rifle               .22 Discovery       .177 NPSS              .177 Powerline 901
Squirrels         100
HOSP              000
Crow              000

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • Expert
  • Infantry, 101st ABN DIV 2002-2013
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:04:17 PM »
You are quite welcome!!!!

Matt
  • Clarksville, Tennessee
Mrod .25,Self tuned 10# spring, 6 inch Gaska tube extension, 3 inch shroud extension, high cheek rest, Mueller 8-32x44MM Tactical Side Focus

SYNROD .25, Self Tuned, 10# spring with CP 4-16x40 AO IR

possums: 21
coons: 9

Offline 1216bandit

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
I just think it is kind of important to me to support those that offer their products on this site.  Its not just the products but things that have taken them years to learn are ours for the asking.  I also understand the fun and enjoyment of making/modifying  a part, done that plenty!  I figure in the long run my money does better spent here whenever I can.
RWS 34 .22 ARH kit
RWS 34 Panther .177 with Vortek PG2
xs-25 from MIke
xs-12 from Mike
.22 Marauder
.177 Marauder Milo74 reg with goodies from Scott

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?