Smoothest/ easiest shooting breakbarrel in the 18+ fpe class

Author Topic: Smoothest/ easiest shooting breakbarrel in the 18+ fpe class  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
Smoothest/ easiest shooting breakbarrel in the 18+ fpe class
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
In your experience, what was the smoothest, easiest-to-shoot break barrel in the 18+ fpe power class that you've ever had the pleasure to shoot?
.25 XS28M Flying Dragon Christmas Special

Offline Mark 611

• Old Timer
  • Yoda!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Smoothest/ easiest shooting breakbarrel in the 18+ fpe class
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
well thiers a few out there that shoot nicely in that power range the RWS48 comes to mind a Beeman R1, and believe it or not the Gamo Hunter Extreme I just got in .22cal seems to shoot just about as smooth as those 2 and its shooting a 14.3gr CPHP at over 900fps out of the box and is very accurate! :P
54 JUNKYARD AIRGUNS FORUM MEMBER!!!!!
When good men are silent only evil is heard!
Let he who is without SIN cast the first stone!

Offline grumpy

• Old Timer
    • http://www.airgunsforum.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Not quite 18 fpe but the .177 nitro venom I have shoots at just about 16 fpe very smoothly.

Grumpy
  • SE Michigan

Offline Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

• Marksman
  • "Shoot low Luke---he's riding a Shetland"!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »
In your experience, what was the smoothest, easiest-to-shoot break barrel in the 18+ fpe power class that you've ever had the pleasure to shoot?

How 'bout we take a short stroll down Reality Lane together?

'Smooth' & 'easy to shoot' are out of place in a sentence concerning an 18fpe break-barrel springer. While a good tuner can virtually transform such a rifle he can't totally overcome the reality that there are a lot of heavy parts engaged in sudden, violent activity inside the compression tube when the trigger releases.

While not a break-barrel the RWS/Diana M-54 comes nearest the mark. In addition to the sledge system it possesses the other characteristic most needed to calm down excess power---pure mass.       Tom
  • Middle-of-the-woods, AR
"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."--- Plato

Offline VAFarmer

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
On another forum, there is a guy named Chris,  the business is CAP I think.

This guy gets good power and shootability (reportedly) from big power springers.   

I wouldnt say it is a cheap thing to accomplish, though.

God bless,

Farmer

Offline Craymar

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
18fpe is right on the lower end of the magnums and only needs a 14.3 grain pellet pushing 754 fps. Some people claim to get that in there Benji Trail, but I've only seen about 730ish in mine.  I have a tf89 and a Winchester 850XS that will hit 760 fps with 14.3 grain pellets. I'm sure there are some gas ram guns shooting in the 760's that would be smooth shooters out of the box without being tuned. There are several non-magnum spring guns that could be tuned to be smooth in that range. Most magnums will be 20+ fpe.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:32:48 PM by Craymar »
  • Savoy,Tx
Airforce TalonP
Crossman MTR77NP (AR-15 replica)
Discovery .22
Hatsan 125 Sniper Camo .22
RWS 48 .177, Vortek Tune kit (older model, 1994)
Cometa Fusion Premier .22
Gamo Shadow 1000 .177 (CDT trigger upgrade)
Benjamin 397PA .177
Sheridan Silver Streak .20 (1979 C Series)
Sheridan Blue Streak .20 (Rocker saftey)
Benjamin Trail NP .22 (CDT trigger upgrade)
Winchester 850XS .22
TechForce TF89  .22
Crosman 1077
Crosman 1377
Gamo P-23
Walther PPK/S
Beeman P17

Offline rsterne

• Old Timer
  • Mozey-On-Inn and see what Coalmont has to offer
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
How 'bout we take a short stroll down Reality Lane together?
I just about sprayed my coffee all over the screen when I read that.... because it's actually pretty true, just never seen it put so succinctly before.... However, since it's all relative, you should be looking at the heaviest and best quality rifle you can find to deliver what you want.... The problem, IMO, is that the sheer weight must be taken into account in the "easiest shooting" part of your equation as well....

Bob
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal:
.177 Diana 34, 1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine (Grouse Gun), 2260 PCP Rifle (37 FPE), 2560 PCP Rifle (52 FPE), .22 BAM B-26, .22 BAM B-51, Hatsan AT-4410 Long (70 FPE),
"Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, .308 & .357 unregulated; working on the Mk.III, a .410 shotgun, and .458 cal)

Offline Nathan

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
My RX-1 is very easy to shoot accurately and the Theoben gas ram is just a quick snap.

Nathan
  • Evans, Colorado

Offline tjk

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »
18 to 21 fpe is a sweet power setting for the HW90/RX series piston rifles. The 'reality lane' post is pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned. With controllable magnum power, one  must pay a price. With piston guns, big power equals big guns for the most part.
  • Spartanburg County, South Carolina.
FWB 124D Sporter w/JM old school. "Cream-Puff"
FWB 124 standard w/JM wire seal and spacers
FWB 127 standard w/JM Everest with spacers 'San Anselmo' self tuned with PW hone and pivot work.
FWB 600
R1 SRosa.177 Titan wire
R1 SRaphael .20 JM full power kit
R1K HB w/Vortek guide & mystery wire
Diana 34 .22 JM guts
Xisico B28 .177 hybrid tuned ;)
And some other cheap stuff.

Offline Mark 611

• Old Timer
  • Yoda!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
Bob your right their is allot of recoil to take into prospective here even tho it's not all that bad with a quality gun, magnum class springer's are not easily shot without some trigger time! :P
54 JUNKYARD AIRGUNS FORUM MEMBER!!!!!
When good men are silent only evil is heard!
Let he who is without SIN cast the first stone!

Offline barcabarca

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »
It depends on how you define "smooth" and "easy" ::)

No 18+fpe springer that I have is as easy as my R8 ( 8 ish FPE)
No 18 + fpe springer that I have is as smooth as my 12 fpe stock HW 97..

OTTH, my Diana 48 (23 FPE w ZRT kit)and 54 (24 FPE-stock)  are both very easy to shoot for the amount of power that they generate. 

They both have no torque and the 48 has a sharp, short,  backward pulse.  They can both be a little bit hold sensitive, but once you got it, they shoot consistently and easily to 50, and 75 yards and put some decent groups even at 100 yards.  they both respond well to a light hold.

My Diana 350 and Diana 460 both in .22 shot at around 25 and 26+ FPE, but they both were more difficult to shoot until lube tuned and Vortek Tuned em.. Their overall length, the long stroke of the piston for the 350,  made them difficult to control for me.

someone else on this thread put is best when they said that its not "real" to have a very smooth and easy to shoot higher FPE air rifle, but dont be scared off, these rifles can be very shootable and enjoyable.

HW 97 (yes!) .177
LH TX 200 .22
Diana 34P .22  Morgan Memorial Air Rifle
IZH 61 Peep Sites
Powermaster 66 .177-never sell it, cuz it started it all...but now its broken

Offline Craymar

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Bahhh... just keep it in @ 18 FPE and forget the magnums if smoother and easier is what you want. There is a lot of guns that can chunk a .22 CPHP a little over 750 fps producing 18 FPE without jumping into the heavier and harder cocking magnums. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:10:49 PM by Craymar »
  • Savoy,Tx
Airforce TalonP
Crossman MTR77NP (AR-15 replica)
Discovery .22
Hatsan 125 Sniper Camo .22
RWS 48 .177, Vortek Tune kit (older model, 1994)
Cometa Fusion Premier .22
Gamo Shadow 1000 .177 (CDT trigger upgrade)
Benjamin 397PA .177
Sheridan Silver Streak .20 (1979 C Series)
Sheridan Blue Streak .20 (Rocker saftey)
Benjamin Trail NP .22 (CDT trigger upgrade)
Winchester 850XS .22
TechForce TF89  .22
Crosman 1077
Crosman 1377
Gamo P-23
Walther PPK/S
Beeman P17

Offline z28rod

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
The new or refurb. Titain GP'S  in .22 cal. shoot 14.3 gr. CPHP pellets at 720 to 740 fps, sounds like a perfect fit and you get the new tech. gas piston technology to boot.
  • Hopewell Junction, NY
- Crosman Titan .22 Cal. W/3x9 Weaver and Leaper one piece mount and rings, tuna gold trigger. Under dime 25yrds. Cphp's.
- RWS 320m .177 4x RWS scope in mint condition.Tuned by dad the pro.
- B-28 .22 Cal. Fully Tuned by my dad the pro tuner. RWS 3x9 AO scope. BKL mount with magnum rings.
- Winchester 1000x .177 made by Hatsan, Turkish walnut stock.
- Beeman G1000 .177 mint.
- Hatsan 85 camo .22 Cal. w/4x Leapers scope.
- Crosman 760 in mint condition. Wood stocks. Oldie but goody.

Offline RedFeather

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
My RX is pretty easy to shoot and has a very short, snappy shot cycle (more so than the NPSS I just got).  That said, eat your Wheaties when you go to cock it.  It's not one of those fifty rounds at a sitting type of guns.  That Crosman NPSS, on the other hand, cocks with about the same force as a Gamo Shadow 1000.  In fact, it's easier than my stock Diana 34.  I was quite surprised but the power seems to be right up there.  The 48/52/54 are good shooting guns but take a bit of oomph when cocking.  Of course, these are true magnums.  What comes out must first go in.

Offline John B

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
"In your experience, what was the smoothest, easiest-to-shoot break barrel in the 18+ fpe power class that you've ever had the pleasure to shoot?"
 Whiscombe.
John
  • Liberty , TN

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
Thanks for the input, and keep the opinions coming!  I've had a little experience with some ultra-mags, a .25 WTM, a .177 R.A.M. and a .177 XL1500, none of them seemed as hard to shoot as I'd been led to believe except for the XL1500.  Not as hard to cock, either.  I'd run through a couple tins of .25 Kodiaks in a weekend when I still had the WTM.  Awesome power, could sometimes knock a empty water bottle over my wooden fence that's taller than I am.  That's quite a wallop, and IMHO, not too extremely hard to shoot.  The most hold sensitive gun I've ever shot was the XL 1500, but once I had her figured out it was superbly accurate untill I started having lock-up issues.  I eventually returned it, but had I known what I know know I'd have kept it and fixed it.  It could hit the center of the bottom of a coke can at 70 yards consistently, with just a mil dot and a half holdover and 10.5 grn CPUM's when fired from sitting with my elbow supported on my knee.  But it was EXCESSIVELY hold sensitive, which didn't make it a great field gun.  The lockup issue became a deal-breaker.  Should have experimented with that, I've got some great ideas for the XL- but i sold the rest shortly after anyway.  That's another story altogether.  What I'd like to find is a breakbarrel in .22 that, zeroed with just the right off-hand hold, can still keep all shots inside an inch at 30 without regards to hold as long as it's shot off-hand and with proper follow -through- all that with power closing in on 20 FPE.  The WTM seemed to put 5 in 2" @ 30M even with complete disregard to hold and good follow-through, but with the right hold it would give me more like an inch to an inch and a quarter @ 30 with kodiaks (and kodiaks only!).  It also shot the 43 grn eunjins well, but the trajectory was not so great.  Pretty good for a $200 ultra-mag springer.  I don't have any of those gunsanymore.  Currently, I have an X20S with a Tarantula and an Apex seal that reached 16.36 fpe with Kodiaks during break-in.  It was still very easy to shoot, no problem putting 5 into 1" at 30 even with inconsistent technique.  I though it was broke in and about as powerful as she'd get, but lately it seems snappier and seems to smack targets a little harder than before.  It's more hold sensitive as well, but not too bad.  Unfortunately i shot my chrony, so I've no idea what kind of power I'm getting now!!  But, I digress.  Keep the opinions coming!! 

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
I find my Nitro Venom .22 very easy to cock and an absolute plesure to shoot, the quick cycling nitro piston feels very, very nice on the shoulder, I think the Nitro Venom is around 18 FPE right ? ( please correct me if I'm mistaken )

when I sit down and shoot it for awhile I can get real tight groups at 35 yards
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Rainstorm II    .357 "Tuned"
Evanix StormPup  II    .25 "Tuned"
Evanix TacStorm II    .25
Evanix RainStorm II    .22

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
The medium-high powered Crosman/Benjamin breakbarrels typically put out about 14-15 fpe in .22.  You get the odd gun that's up between 17 and 18, but it's uncommon- even with a tune.  I think that's a combination of a slightly overly charged nitro piston (bad QC sometimes has it's advantages i guess) in conjunction with a properly fitting piston seal that didn't get nicked and maybe a slightly out-of spec tube that's fractions of a MM larger in diameter than it should be.  That's just a hunch, though.  The difference between 15 and 18 fpe might not sound like much, but it is definitely noticeable.

Offline robert w

• when guns are outlawed , only out laws will have guns
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
im a german gun lover ,but i realy like my benji titan gp in .22 smooth cocking and shoots in the 740-760 range cphp's and rws superdomed are what it digests best . for the money id say go with a benji titan the nitro piston has some advantages like being able to leave it cocked for while without hurting it
in 1939 hitler said give up your guns and germany will be a safer place... then a short time after all guns were taken ,he told the jews "board the train" a word in histroy

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
BTW-  I'm really not too interested in the odd medium springer that shoots a little harder than it should.  Not unless it's with a tune kit for which these results are typical.  Like a 34 with a special kit that closes in on 20 fpe (does that exist?)  When I say 18+ fpe what I mean is guns that shoot that hard, out of the box, across the board unless defective- or a tune kit that takes a 13-16 fpe gun above 18 fpe on average.  I know they're all harsh, but you can't deny that some are better than others!

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.