Best PCP for the money??

Author Topic: Best PCP for the money??  (Read 10187 times)

Offline rkr

• Expert
Re: Best PCP for the money??
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:33 AM »
One of the original requirements was no mods needed. For that I'd look for one of them UK made PCPs if the budget allows, you seldom here about people modding those (me being an exception). Weirauch HW100 is also a good one and sold by Beeman in US. Then we have FX PCPs and they are also known for their quality. My Korean gun experience is based on one gun, but I'd never buy another one.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:19:29 AM by rkr »
Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup - grab'n go gun
BSA Scorpion SE .177 - plinker
BSA Scorpionish .22 - 100M bench rest gun
Evanix Blizzard .357 bullpup - 200 fpe silhouette gun
FWB300SU
Drozd Blackbird HPA - 1200 rpm full auto fun gun / meat grinder
Evanix AR6 carbine/pistol
+ bunch of other air guns

Offline grumpy

• Old Timer
    • http://www.airgunsforum.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:09 AM »
Sorry if I offended anyone but in my opinion the 2 and 3 screw mods are not good enough for bench resting the disco. The best way, again in my opinion, is to get an mrod trigger.

TKO $50.00
Mrod trigger $50.00
Barrel Band  I forget how much but its about 5-10 bucks

I found the disco's stock to be most uncomfortable. There were several fixes for me. Most involved 200-300.00 replacement stocks. Even if you are happy with the factory stock, as a hunter its going to need a sling and swivels. Those add a few more bucks to the mix.

Again I am not trying to insult disco owners. They are still one of the best bang for the buck guns out there, to me, but it does require work.

Grumpy
  • SE Michigan

Offline Bob P

• Plinker
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
Another vote for the disco!

Offline gene_sc

• GTA A Cut Above The Rest
  • Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • GTA A Cut Above The Rest- In God We Trust
    • CharlieDaTuna
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
Dave if you want a bad trigger try pullin a theoben trigger on a gamo or crosman...:) The Diso is far from that. As far as needing two barrel bands that depends on who knows what. Most of the issues are with the screw under the probe on the breech. Normally they are loose from the factory and need to be tightened.
Many of us waited for years for a PCP like the Disco. One that many could afford. Crosman made it possible for us to own and shoot the Disco at a good price. IMO it is the best PCP you can buy under $300.00.  Best Bang Fer Da Buck..:)

This question is so subjective. Whats considered my bang for the buck may not be yours. Sure the disco is an awesome gun but factor in that it has one of the crummiest triggers ever put on an air gun. Then take in to account its darn right loud !  It also needs an extra barrel band. All added up these mods can cost you another 100.00. These are just a  few of the first things people change on them. Yeah its cool to do this stuff yourself but its not everyone's cup of tea.

Am I trying to talk you out of a disco ? Nope, I own 3 myself. Just want you to be aware of some of the disco's short comings.

Grumpy
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline aack73

• Nitrogen is the way to go :)
  • GTA Moderator
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
Frankly ... with the BANG a NON Shrouded PCP rifle makes ..... Going that route add the cost of a ******** so it is actually enjoyable to shoot and game is not scared after the first shot.
Or ... Go with a factory shrouded rifle.

Honestly with the BETTER trigger ... More adjustable hammer/spring settings and a shrouded barrel too, The benjamin M-rod is not that much more expensive.
* Seems a lot of guys buy the m-rod trigger group, add a TKO ******** on there discos. Do that your very close to the m-rods cost pump/fill method not withstanding  ::)

+1 ;D $400 to $450 the mrod has outstanding accuracy(.177 & .25 anyway), completely adjustable trigger, completely adjustable power/shot count, shrouded barrel, multishot breech, and world class customer service second to none. ;D ;D  it's only lacking a really nicely finished stock and the nicer anodizing/bluing of higher end pcp's. but it's a performer that goes uncontested at $400. nothing else gives this much adjustability and accuracy for this price. ;D ;D
"come over to the darkside you knob"

Offline Snaab9-2

• Suffering from Disco Fever
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »
That's the one thing i don't like about the darkside, all those extra costs, i think nitro pistons will proliferate the air gun market in the next 3 yrs.

IDK, depends seems like it takes 2 or 3 or more to find one good one for a lot of the folks on here.
Benjamin Discovery 22: Heavy Hammer Spring, 6.5 TKO and 2 screw trigger mod 
Crosman 2100 and Crosman 3100

Offline Snaab9-2

• Suffering from Disco Fever
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
Dave if you want a bad trigger try pullin a theoben trigger on a gamo or crosman...:) The Diso is far from that. As far as needing two barrel bands that depends on who knows what. Most of the issues are with the screw under the probe on the breech. Normally they are loose from the factory and need to be tightened.
Many of us waited for years for a PCP like the Disco. One that many could afford. Crosman made it possible for us to own and shoot the Disco at a good price. IMO it is the best PCP you can buy under $300.00.  Best Bang Fer Da Buck..:)

This question is so subjective. Whats considered my bang for the buck may not be yours. Sure the disco is an awesome gun but factor in that it has one of the crummiest triggers ever put on an air gun. Then take in to account its darn right loud !  It also needs an extra barrel band. All added up these mods can cost you another 100.00. These are just a  few of the first things people change on them. Yeah its cool to do this stuff yourself but its not everyone's cup of tea.

Am I trying to talk you out of a disco ? Nope, I own 3 myself. Just want you to be aware of some of the disco's short comings.

Grumpy

Mine shoots well with one barrel band, but I would like to check what you are talking about. 

"Most of the issues are with the screw under the probe on the breech"

What probe are you talking about?  Sorry, could you give a little more in depth description or a picture?

Thanks! 
Benjamin Discovery 22: Heavy Hammer Spring, 6.5 TKO and 2 screw trigger mod 
Crosman 2100 and Crosman 3100

Offline MustangMike

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
by probe i think gene is reffering to the bolt
  • atx
.25 hatsan at44s-10 (down the road)
.22 disco,  bnm breech & shroud, katana stock, 7" tube extension, leapers 3-12x40AO
.22 ccs 2400kt, extensively modified using the sikes touch.

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net
Cera Kote services: ddgrego---Designsbydink

Tomiboy01

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
I have an Evanix Renegade Carbine I want to sell.  It is brand new condition and might be right up your alley.  Beautiful stock, no blemishes, .22,  very powerful.  I cannot list in classifieds yet as I don't have enough posts but if you want to send me your email address I can send you pics.

I m asking 350.00 for it.   

Offline gene_sc

• GTA A Cut Above The Rest
  • Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • GTA A Cut Above The Rest- In God We Trust
    • CharlieDaTuna
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
And yes I did mean under the bolt. Thanks Mike for the correction..
Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline Ol'DeadEye

• Sharp Shooter
  • "Blah - Blah - Blah"
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
One man's trash is another man's treasure...
I couldn't settle for one "perfect" rifle, so I bought three (not all at the same time).
Disco 22 for light weight and low pressure fill, peep sights and/or red dot for short range shooting, tko equipped for you know what.
MRod 22 for repeater action, ultra quiet for backyard suburban shooting, nice trigger too.
AF TalonSS 22cal , easiest loading and straightest shooting with many options to choose from.
All filled with an AirForce hand pump.

Could I choose just one??? I don't think so...

If I lived in the country where noise level wasn't a problem, I'd probably have an AF Condor with a ShoeBox compressor for fueling up.

• York, PA
2014 Starling Confirmed Count: 67/
2014 Unconfirmed Count: 13/
Highest 1 day confirmed count: 17/
2fers: 1/
Hosp: 3/
Stripers: 2/

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?