most accurate pellets for benjamin trail np .22 cal(none XL)

Author Topic: most accurate pellets for benjamin trail np .22 cal(none XL)  (Read 19173 times)

Jagged1

Re: most accurate pellets for benjamin trail np .22 cal(none XL)
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
  Oh and skid9832004 please add the RWS Super-H-Point to the poll please and then I'll vote...  Thanks

Again this thread is a good idea for a "What to try List"...  I know I was racking my brain about what to try when I was making up my list!

It might also be looked at as a what doesn't do well in the NP list since a pellet that rarely ends up with positives (from several shooters) can likely be passed on.  It's hard to play "try them all" with so many choices and then get stuck with a bunch of full tins that don't shoot for poo in your gun. :P

Offline Eric

• Plinker
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
added the super h points. tell us how others do on this thread. like i say the more data the better

Jagged1

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
yup, mine too... some tight and some loose.  Not a precise pellet. Every 2-3 is different. I always know too right when I load it that im going to have a flier.

I was thinking of doing an experiment with the Crosmans where 3 targets are used; one for loose fitters, one for normal fitters and one for the snug fitters.  It would be neat to see if they would group well with pellets that seem the same.   Maybe if we get some good weather here in Upstate NY I'll try it!

Maybe Crosman could get some dies that make their pellets the same or better yet package them as all from the same numbered die and label them with the die numbers!

Cheaper is a good thing but fliers that would be a miss or worse an injured runaway is not good at all!  Crosman Premier HPs is the only .22 cal pellet I can find locally (cheap at WallyWorld) and it really is too bad they are so inconsistent... They'd make a great low cost plinker without the fliers and you might not need anything else if they were consistent in your gun.

Offline Frank

• Marksman
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
My Trail NP is very pellet fussy. I just don't understand why it shoots other pellets so lousy. I have tried every pellet almost. I can't figure if there is something wrong with my setup. I do have a quality scope. Yesterday I had no wind at all so shot it at 20 yards. Still the CPHP did the best. The others I tried yesterday were RWS HP and SD, Benjamin HP, Crosman Premier Dome. The RWS SD and the Benjamin HP were the worst. Hard to believe about the Benjamin's as they are about the same as the CPHP
Frank, Arkansas

Offline Frank

• Marksman
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
I can see a poll like this for every rifle to be very very useful. They should be under one heading or at least somewhere but in one place. Maybe they are already but I have not found that. Are there this type of poll already on the forum? If so where are they as I have not stumbled on them..

Thanks......
Frank, Arkansas

Offline Eric

• Plinker
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
I can see a poll like this for every rifle to be very very useful. They should be under one heading or at least somewhere but in one place. Maybe they are already but I have not found that. Are there this type of poll already on the forum? If so where are they as I have not stumbled on them..

Thanks......

This is the first type of poll like this. i set it up hoping enough people say they like it. I want to see a poll like this for every gun mabye the admins can create a poll for a bunch of guns then dedicate a section to it.... i feel it would aleviate a lot of questions of pellet choice that everyone asks across this site

Offline mcc1961

• Expert
  • I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
You should do a poll on the Disco?
2012-14 Hunting stats
8 squirrels
7 English sparrows
1 pigeon
2 starlings
1 crow

Offline Magman116

• Plinker
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
I too had thought about more consistant CPHPs and decided to sort the tin.  I came up with 3 groups.  The range was from .115 to .118 head diameter.  The .115's were all over the place like buck shot.  The .117s were a bit better.  The .118's were very consistent in POI.  They had to be pushed into the breach.  If Crosman would sell all .118 head diameter CPHPs I would probably buy them again.  Now, I just use them for breaking in a new barrel.

I wasted so much money on different pellets and have a box of pellets I just can't use in my rifles.  Now, I only buy H&N FTT 5.53's and Crow Mags.  I know I will get very consistent pellets every time.

If your pellets aren't fitting well in the breach, just cut a slight bevel in the breach until the pellets just seat flush.
Benjamin Trail NP .22
Hatsan Mod95 .22
Winchester 1100 XSU .177
BAM B2-1 .177

Offline mtsheron70

• PiedmontNCAirgunner
  • Old Timer
  • I am just a spoke in a broken wheel.
    • Piedmont NC Airgunner
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
I went with the H&N FTT due to the feedback when I did my research on which pellet this rifle likes to eat and spit down range.  The German engineering of this pellet is great.  That said, once I get my new scope that has zero reset and dialed in with the H&N's I am going to try one of the most consistent and favorite pellets I have ever shot in any air gun the JSB Exact Heavy Jumbo's.  But the H&N's for paper punching are great!!!

I plan on doing a chrony session soon with them since I have over 600+ rounds through the newly acquired Benji Trail NP with the GRTIII trigger installed.  The gun is fairly settled in now.

So a chrony session is in order for sure.
  • NC
Diana 56TH .22 JM VRT tuned
Cometa Lynx V10 .22
Crosman Customshop 2300KT .22 10.1" barrel (Boss valve installed & power adjuster as well as trigger tune)
www.piedmontncairgunner.com

Offline Eric

• Plinker
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
I went with the H&N FTT due to the feedback when I did my research on which pellet this rifle likes to eat and spit down range.  The German engineering of this pellet is great.  That said, once I get my new scope that has zero reset and dialed in with the H&N's I am going to try one of the most consistent and favorite pellets I have ever shot in any air gun the JSB Exact Heavy Jumbo's.  But the H&N's for paper punching are great!!!

I plan on doing a chrony session soon with them since I have over 600+ rounds through the newly acquired Benji Trail NP with the GRTIII trigger installed.  The gun is fairly settled in now.

great post the nimbers and if u can the groups for both so others can use your testings as well!

Offline mtsheron70

• PiedmontNCAirgunner
  • Old Timer
  • I am just a spoke in a broken wheel.
    • Piedmont NC Airgunner
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »

great post the nimbers and if u can the groups for both so others can use your testings as well!

I certainly will do.  Hope the numbers are consistent with a very small deviation!
  • NC
Diana 56TH .22 JM VRT tuned
Cometa Lynx V10 .22
Crosman Customshop 2300KT .22 10.1" barrel (Boss valve installed & power adjuster as well as trigger tune)
www.piedmontncairgunner.com

Offline Eric

• Plinker
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
yea but the smaller deviations will usually come from a tune from what i have read.

Offline microsalmo

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »
...some more useful information for this thread...

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,25575.0.html
  • Tampa, FL
"addicted to air"

Offline bodybag0

• Plinker
  • Whats the chicken of the tree?
    • We bring the party to you
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I hate to muck up the waters, but poll should have a disclaimer.   Thats to say you must have tried all the pellets mentioned in the poll.  I'm sure (not all but most) people picking the crosman is because thats all they tried.
-Evanix Rainstorm .22cal Baracuda 5.50mm
-Disco .22cal     JSB 15.9g
-Trail NP .22cal  FTT 5.53mm
-Crosman 38C   any ammo

Offline Magman116

• Plinker
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
I, for one, have every one of the pellets in the poll and many more.  I would put it as the H&N FTT, then the H&N Baracuda, then the RWS SP.

all my .22 guns like the H&N FTTs.
Benjamin Trail NP .22
Hatsan Mod95 .22
Winchester 1100 XSU .177
BAM B2-1 .177

Offline Eric

• Plinker
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
I hate to muck up the waters, but poll should have a disclaimer.   Thats to say you must have tried all the pellets mentioned in the poll.  I'm sure (not all but most) people picking the crosman is because thats all they tried.
This is true but even if a person only tired 2 different pellets listed this still helps people eliminate a pellet choice and gives people better odds of getting better pellets the first time which ultimately helps people save more money.

Offline bodybag0

• Plinker
  • Whats the chicken of the tree?
    • We bring the party to you
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
I, for one, have every one of the pellets in the poll and many more.  I would put it as the H&N FTT, then the H&N Baracuda, then the RWS SP.

all my .22 guns like the H&N FTTs.

I'm with you.
-Evanix Rainstorm .22cal Baracuda 5.50mm
-Disco .22cal     JSB 15.9g
-Trail NP .22cal  FTT 5.53mm
-Crosman 38C   any ammo

Offline Wild Onion

• Chicago Mike
  • Plinker
  • aim small - miss small
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 03:00:14 AM »
Does this help?  I just did some pellet testing on my Trail NP All Weather.  These are all 5 shot groups at 21' off a rest - it's clear what the guns preferences are. :P

Nice data! Do you  think CPHP are so popular because they are more readily available?
RWS Diana 48 .177 w/TO5
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22 w/GRT-III
Crosman 760 and 1077
1377 w/steel breech and Gamo P85

Offline microsalmo

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
Yup  ::)
  • Tampa, FL
"addicted to air"

Offline Eric

• Plinker
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
Does this help?  I just did some pellet testing on my Trail NP All Weather.  These are all 5 shot groups at 21' off a rest - it's clear what the guns preferences are. :P

Nice data! Do you  think CPHP are so popular because they are more readily available?

Thats just a variable that people have to account for by reading the posts we make under the poll there judgements can take over from there...

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?