Retay Sport .22 Underlever Part One

Jump to

Author Topic: Retay Sport .22 Underlever Part One  (Read 12960 times)

Offline gene_sc

• GTA A Cut Above The Rest
  • Administrator
  • Old Timers
    • Airguntoys
Retay Sport .22 Underlever Part One
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Another new Retay come rollin up to my door today.. Richard I guess decided to ship the Retay Sport underlever for me to evaluate and review.  Boy he trusts me...:)

Note: On the Retay Sport Underlever you will need to use a spring compressor.

After opening the box I saw another gorgeous looking air gun by Retay. Fit and finish was just as sweet as the Retay 135X .22 break barrel. On this part one of my evaluation it will be mostly on build quality fit and finish. I will actually give this model a lube tune and send it back to Richard when done along with the other Retay 135X .22 that he sent me to turbo tune for him. Yes he sent me two...:) Guess he is going to keep one fer himself..:)

Here is the scoop. This is another nice designed air rifle. It has two distint build qualities. One is BSA's original  Polaris/Gamo CFX and the other is RWS, Air Arms, and HW. The the cocking linkage is cantilever like the Polaris and CFX, but with a RWS shoe. The cocking lever is spring loaded and there is a button on the end you press and release the lever.

The inner and outer pistons are the same design as the HW, Air Arms and RWS. The opening on action for breech and pellet access are full open mouth which is very nice for left and right handed shooters to load pellets. Air Arms use a half mouth breech opening and it is awkward to load pellets. With this said this is a very nice feature.  The complete chamber is anodized nicely in red. Very clean and sharp color. The outer piston is of good quality and very smooth. Fits the chamber very well. The breech seal is easily accessible and another nice feature is the piston looks to be a two piece affair. End piece that breech sits in actually screws into end of piston. For your information many of the other air gun manufacturers have had issues with there end piece leaking air. Most are pressed and pinned in. The breech seal is very wide faced which will seal well with barrel breech.

The piston seal on this model of Retay is much smaller than the Retay 135X break barrel. The spring diameter though is much larger. Look at the pictures that I took and you can see the the numbers on calipers. The seal size is somewhere in between an RWS and Gamo/Crosman seal. Looks to be the same size as a HW 97/77 piston seal but a different design. As like on the Retay 135X this one is a parachute style seal as well.

I noticed that the inner piston was not nearly as nicely finished as the piston on a RWS, HW, or Air Arms. They don't have that down pat for sure. But the fit and tolerances were good.

The Retay Sport is a fine well designed air gun. It has some time tested features that have been around and used for decades.

Again this model has a much nicer fit and finish than any Chinese/Spanish gun's that I have seen or worked on. The outer metal work can be compared to an RWS gun made today and IMO a bit nicer.

I will be back with Part Two of my review once I get her back together. I am curious to see the numbers and how accurate she is. Along with the overall cocking and shooting cycle.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:48:58 AM by gene_sc »
  • Belton, South Carolina
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline Pete

• Old Timers
Re: Retay Sport .22 Underlever Part One
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:34:56 AM »
thats a nice gun... kral has realy steped there game up
new guns with a new name to go with them...
the rear site & lever latch are all they have retained from
the old Gamo copys..
If these are there 2nd offering... Roll on the 3rd gen..
EXSPERIANCE - being able to recognise your mistake the second time you make it....

Career Infinity .22 PCP
Hatsan Mod 55 .177
Hatsan Mod 75 .22
Hatsan Mod 99 .177
Kral Underlever .177
Gamo Hunter 440 .22
Others...

Link to other hobbie's
My XT660 side car build on Adventure rider...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775145

cole5169

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »
Red anodized?
Yuk...

Offline Rocker1

• I AM BACK!!!
  • Old Timers
  • Addicted
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
I like it , its something different than the gamo  and crosmans we see all the time it has some  features  incorporated in it from several makes of  air guns , this may not be a hw or a  tx200 but it is a nice offering for a new type gun, as far as the anodizising, quess  you want have to worry about that rusting, its looks to be a better build than  what we have seen from any of the turkey guns, I just wonder  will they have more than just red  or maybe  some other colors they offer, still in all I like it.  Thanks David
HW97 GENE BUILT MULTI SHOT DISCO EVANIX AR6 CZ200 TITAN 2X1377 RWS 45  GAMO DELTA BENJAMINE 392 REMINGTON NPSS  G1 EXTREME RWS 35 GENES R11 I HAVE HID FROM HIM REMINGTON SUMMIT PHANTOM GAS RAMMED bsa lonestar 25 cal crosman quest 177 CZS200 BT65 TURKEY GUN

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • Old Timers
  • West Coast of TN
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »
Thanks for your time and efforts with a full inside/out review Bawanah Gene!!!!
Looks like the 100X Sport has room inside to be gassed too. :) With that thick spring guide.
I am looking forward to part two but would like to get info from Richard on the 135X Sniper. But can't get him nor Retay to respond. Guess I keep my money or spend it on more Disco bling instead.
:)
Happy Shooting!!!!
Dave
 8)
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Beeman HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline shadow

• Old Timers
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »
I'm impressed with the overall finish of the shooter and the trigger does have a different design but as you mentioned over the phone it does have a nice feel. I'm a big fan of camo but for some reason I really like the color on the action and a little red bling never hurt's. Ed
NA

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• Administrator
  • Old Timers
  • Co-Founder/Administrator
    • CharlieDaTuna.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »
I was over to Gene's yesterday and we were discussing these guns. No doubt it is a very well made gun. ;) ;) The trigger is a Theoben type hybrid and a quite unique design but functions well.. The only real issue we see at this time is parts for it. Seals for example are an odd size, both in diameter as well as cross section. (Gonna take some figurrin' fer that).  ??? ??? That said though, unlike many guns when you tear them down, the seals in these two guns were not damaged during assembly. That in itself says something as it's almost unheard of in many mass produced guns.

There are a couple of after market springs that will adapt to it real well including the early Tarantula and the GRT spring (both are excellent springs when set up correctly) and it is a gun that could be TurboTuned with a Delrin guide made for it using them or even the factory spring for that matter.  ;D

Anyhow, it's a good gun and feels and handles well also.  Personally, I think that it has a pretty good future, especially if they can keep the pricing decent.

Good job Gene

CDT
  • Simpsonville,  SC
-----
I DO NOT ANSWER GENERAL AIRGUN QUESTIONS IN PM'S SO DO NOT PM ME WITH AG QUESTIONS.

Bob aka: CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III --- GRT-4G TRIGGER --- CBR TRIGGER
http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III%20Trigger%20New.htm
http://www.charliedatuna.com/GRT-4G.htm

Home of the NPSS-NP (CBR) Triggers:
http://www.charliedatuna.com/NPSS%20non%20PP.htm

E-Mail: CDT22@Frontier.com

Offline gene_sc

• Administrator
  • Old Timers
    • Airguntoys
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
They have the camo also Ed....:) Check it out..

I'm impressed with the overall finish of the shooter and the trigger does have a different design but as you mentioned over the phone it does have a nice feel. I'm a big fan of camo but for some reason I really like the color on the action and a little red bling never hurt's. Ed
  • Belton, South Carolina
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline shadow

• Old Timers
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
I knew you would find something like that lol. Ed
NA

Offline crayfish

• Sharp Shooter
  • My new HW97
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »
Thanks Gene.

I'm still searching informations of Retay Troy 100x fixed barrel. I'm from Czech Republic and it's easy to buy Retay guns here from dealer in Bohumin(town). Only i needed are informations and piece of knowledge about this brand. I will wait for part two, if your classification will be good, i'll buy one. Thanks one more, have a nice day.
  • Czech Republic
CZ 236 (father's) and my first
Daisy Powerline 93 cal.177 pistol
Lov 21 cal.177 pistol
Haenel 312-1 cal.177
Umarex Wild Life cal.177
Weihrauch HW97 Black Line+Optisan (MTC) Cobra 3-9x42

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
Crayfish,
This may help.  It was labeled as the "Hercules 100X" airgun when it first came out.  It is the same Retay 100 though.

This Link is in UK.   Scroll down until you see the "Hercules 100X" air rifles.
http://www.the-shooting-party.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=3&Itemid=11

Good Luck to You.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:31:04 AM by kymike »

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
Gene,
Ya need to tell Richard and Magy, that RED isn't gonna sell in Kentucky!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:44:46 PM by kymike »

Offline gene_sc

• Administrator
  • Old Timers
    • Airguntoys
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »
Hey Mike I think the Red ones are only gonna be sold in San Francisco...:)
  • Belton, South Carolina

reta

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
Hi Gene,

Thx a lot for your time and reviews and waiting for part II
100X, has different colors as Blue, Red, White and Black and different stocks as you saw on web.

Mike, No problem we sell in vegas ;)

In some country they are in a different brand not Retay.

Have fun

Magy

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Gene & reta,
Is the stock made for left handed shooters too?  Can't tell by the pics.

Firewire

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »
I think the red is sporty as heck.  Gives it a FWB look.  Beech or Walnut Wood and bluing get tiresome after awhile.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:23:14 PM by Firewire »

Offline gene_sc

• Administrator
  • Old Timers
    • Airguntoys
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
What I have seen so far of the two model Retays, they only come in right hand stocks. With the cheek weld on right side they fit very nicely.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:34:48 PM by gene_sc »
  • Belton, South Carolina

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks Gene....darn the bad luck!!!
HEY  MAGY !!!!!!    FIX THIS !!!!!!  Make a Riser for the Left Hander Please.  Or at least make it ambidextrious.
Mike ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:40:02 PM by kymike »

reta

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
Hi Mike,

I dont want 2 promise or say sth right now but I think after september we're planning to offer as 5 grade turkish walnut stock as ambidextrious one. Cos in plastic its too expensive and takes time but it will done.

Firstly we push the market then can work over it with your bucks ;))

magy

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
Magy,    It shouldn't be that much money to make the Molds that way.   It should only modifying 1/2 of the mold.  It's basically a Mirror Image of the left side of the 2 piece mold.   I would have engineered it both ways from the start.
It will pay off when more people can buy it.   You will sell more synthetic stocks than wood, I believe.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:59:04 AM by kymike »

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?