Ideas on quiet backstop?

Author Topic: Ideas on quiet backstop?  (Read 8975 times)

Offline NewShooter

• Shooter
Ideas on quiet backstop?
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
So I have seen lots of posts on quiet guns,  but what about quiet backstops?  If you have a quiet gun for example the fx independance, what would you make as the perfect quiet backstop?  I recently got new neighbors,  they don't mind the shooting at all but their dog does seem to have an issue with my jsb 18.1's hitting my cinderblock backstop lol. Dog goes nuts everytime something hits it.  So I need some new ideas :)
.177 Gamo Whisper
.177 Gamo PT-80
.22 Remington NPSS
.22 Fx Independence
.22 Marauder

Wampus

Re: Ideas on quiet backstop?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
Duct seal from the electrical/wiring dept of your local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

MountainMan126

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:15 AM »
A couple layers of carpet, needs to be changed out periodically, but is cheap and easy. If you have a flooring place nearby, their scraps are usually free.

Offline jonnnyboy

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »
Probably the number one recommendation will be the duct seal, as Wampus said.  It's quiet and reusable but has an initial cost.

Other possibilities are carpet remnants, plastic shopping bags and even shipping peanuts as packing inside some kind of container.  I'm sure there will be lots of different thoughts on the subject.  Fortunately, all of my neighbors have been supportive so far.  I use a triple backstop of plywood and chipboard.  Usually lasts a couple of years, maybe less depending on how much shooting I am able to get in.  I do have to move my targets around some!!  hahaha

joe
"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff!"  ex-Marine Gunnery Sgt. Bob Lee Swagger

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline JMJ in NC

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
A quick search here for "silent pellet trap" will yield a lot of good info. Duct seal is the way to go, IMHO.

JMJ
  • Hillsborough, NC
Paper, fur & feathers

Offline northern lights

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
I haven,t try it yet but think it will work great. It,s rubber paving bricks 12x12 inchs about 3/4 thick cost on sale 99 cent reg price 1.89. build a box the size you want glue the paver to some plywood an hang a few old tee shirts or towel to stop bounce back. It will stop arrows with over 30# of energy. should work for pellets. And would be very quiet. lot cheaper then duct seal.

Offline eddielee70

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »
easy.  get electrical panel to the size you like and "duct seal" $1.95 per each per pound from the electrical department at Home Depot.  get about 2" thickness for safety, then you'll have a very silent trap.  depending on what size (mine is 14"x14" which requires about 28 duct seal).  duct seal( won't dry out, very reusuable) is very sticky, so they will stick to panel and itself.  remember everything is in the electrical department.  some dumby will send you to other water, wood, furance, and ductworks department, but everything you need in those two isles of electrical department.

Edited for language.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:44:11 AM by Addictedtoair »
Marauder,Marauder pistol,Daisy 953,Gamo cfx Hatson AT44,FX whisper,Evanix Blizzard,Sumatra,RWS 48, Daisy 747,XS46u,s510,Evanix speed,Pneuma-10, FX Cyclone,Daystate Huntsman XL

big a

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
I use hay bails wrapped in burlap.I have 4 bails at 5 bucks a piece and 4 big burlap sacks at 2 bucks each.The burlap slows the pellets down enough so the pellets hardly ever even get to the second bail,even my marauder shooting baracuda's do not get through.I went this route so I could hang a lot of targets at one time.Th e only thing you hear is is the pellet hit the paper.

Offline bobster

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
I just put 3 lbs duct seal onto a crosman $20 pellet trap from walmart.  Works great.

r1derbike

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
Sounds like the neighbor's dog would make an excellent backstop! ;-]

Bobster, is that the trap that is slanted inside?

Charles

Offline bobster

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
Bobster, is that the trap that is slanted inside?
Yes it has 4 hanging sheets of nylon and the back is a slide out piece of galvanized metal.  It will stop any pellet if one should somehow get through or around the duct seal. I've tested the metal backplate and it does stop .22 Beeman FTS (copper coated domed) pellets at around 750? fps with the 4 sheets and duct seal removed at 15 yards.

BigNick

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
I have been pondering the same thing.... but i need a large, 6' high by 10' wide back stop. I planned on using 2x8 board with a plywood sheet, with a second compressed wood sheet on top of that, then a layer of drywall, covered by a sheet of cheap insulation. I will then paint it to protect it overall, and change out the later of drywall and cheap insulation as needed. I plan on slanting the backstop at a less than a 45* angle, so that any ricocheting rounds will go down into a pad of sand I will put down. I will frame the very back with 2x4's and have a two 2x4's going straight downt o hold the angle, and a 2x4 going between those two at ground level for additional rigidity. I will paint the whole thing to protect is a bit, and should weigh in at around 80 lbs, light enough for two people to carry it in and out of the garage.

Behind my impromptu shooting range is a school, and I will be putting a 8' stockade fence for prying eyes.

In front, I will have some spinning targets, and a double T target hanger I hook Snapple caps + tin cans onto. Should be very quiet, last for years and be fairly cheap to maintain.

jefunjsh

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »
Candle wax works pretty well for "quiet" from what I've seen, but I have not used it for that purpose.  I would guess that getting a lot of cheap candles and melting them down would give you some wax to pour into a box or something of that nature.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:48:31 AM by jefunjsh »

Offline lloyd-ss

• Vendors
  • Old Timer
    • AirgunLab
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
Quiet targets, too.

Paper towels and magic marker are a lot quieter than printer paper.
  • Central Virginia
An engineer by nature. The affliction is knowing that everything can be made better.
Crosman 760, B3 .177, B40 .22, Gamo1000 .177, RWS54 .22, Discovery prototype .22, Discovery .25  80FPE, unusual custom PCPs .25 cal to .510 and 700FPE    My website www.airgunlab.com  The Disco Double  The P-rod Double     My YouTube channel is    1227air500

Rickster

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
I use phone books and catalogs. pretty quiet.
A friend of mine fills his steel 22 trap with old t-shirts.

Rick
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:08:10 PM by Rickster »

Offline Onebaddj

• Old Timer
  • DJ
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »
I have an ommo can with flak jacket inserts in it. All available at a surplus store or cheaper than dirt. I found some heavy foam fubber thats about 6 in thick and its very quiet. I have also hung one of the inserts on a heavy wire hanger. the pellets hit it and fall to the ground pretty quietly. The ammo can is easier to transport and you can stick all your target and ammo in it. I also drilled holes in it to set up golf tees for paint balls or other targets. 
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
Condor 22 4-16x50 ao leapers. Awesome!
RWS 470 177 T06 PG2  Hawke eclipse 4-16x50
RWS 350 22 T05 PG2 leapers 3-9x32 23.26 fpe!
Gamo Big cat maccari kit GRT3 trigger Leapers 4x40 tactedge
Daisy 120 bushnell 4x40
CCS 2400 kt fully modded
Crossman 2250b fully modded
Crossman 2200
Crossman 1377 too many mods.
1 Shanghai b-3 converted to NP
1 Shanghai mod 62

Offline NewShooter

• Shooter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:24:33 PM »
Ok think I may have found my solution. Rubber stepping stones sold at local walmart for $5 for a 1' x 1' piece. They of course don't stop the pellets but it does dull the impact noise tremendously. So just picked up a few of those and set them in front of the cinder blocks!

On a side note... has anyone ever played around with Lexan. The clear hard plastic stuff that is "bullet proof" if you have enough layers? Seen a few you tube videos of people shooting the stuff with various fire arms, was wondering what a pellet would do. Stuff is sold at home depot and Lowe's in various sizes and thickness. My next test is to see if that holds up better than cinder blocks, yeah have been taking noticeable chunks out of the cinder blocks from hitting same spots repeatedly.

Thanks for all the suggestions you guys posted. Yes duct seal has worked the best. I do have an indoor trap filled with duct seal. Problem is in the Florida heat the stuff doesn't seem to hold up that well for more than a few hours. I have the crossman pellet trap filled with duct seal for inside. Was really looking for something permanent and larger to use outside.
.177 Gamo Whisper
.177 Gamo PT-80
.22 Remington NPSS
.22 Fx Independence
.22 Marauder

Offline lloyd-ss

• Vendors
  • Old Timer
    • AirgunLab
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:07:09 AM »
Hey Newshooter.
There are some guys on one of the other gates using Lexan to protect the faces of their chronographs, and it is working. Lexan is polycarbonate, same stuff as soda bottles.  Be careful not to get acrylic (Plexiglass), which will break on the first hit.

I am a little concerned about ricochet's from the rubber stepping stones and bounces from the Lexan.  I've experienced them from both of those materials and taught me a lesson.  You want your backstop to absorb all of the energy from the pellet, and for the pellet to just fall harmlessly to the bottom of the trap.  No bounce-back.
Some sort of eye protection, too.

Thanks,
Lloyd

• Central Virginia
An engineer by nature. The affliction is knowing that everything can be made better.
Crosman 760, B3 .177, B40 .22, Gamo1000 .177, RWS54 .22, Discovery prototype .22, Discovery .25  80FPE, unusual custom PCPs .25 cal to .510 and 700FPE    My website www.airgunlab.com  The Disco Double  The P-rod Double     My YouTube channel is    1227air500

Offline JMJ in NC

• Marksman
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
Hey Newshooter.
There are some guys on one of the other gates using Lexan to protect the faces of their chronographs, and it is working. Lexan is polycarbonate, same stuff as soda bottles.  Be careful not to get acrylic (Plexiglass), which will break on the first hit.

FWIW - Soda bottles are PET/PETE, (Polyethylene terephthalate), recycling code 1. Plastic baby bottles are PC, recycling code 7 for "other".

Agree - stay away from Acrylic (or PMMA, polymethyl methacrylate) as it is more brittle than PC.

A polycarbonate shield for a chrony is a great idea - just angle it down 45 to handle ricochets.

JMJ
  • Hillsborough, NC
Paper, fur & feathers

Offline northern lights

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
For those of you that need a large back stop a rubber horse mat from the farm supply would work great. The mat is 4x6 feet a inch thick an very heavy cost is 35.00 on sale or 42.00 reg. would last a lifetime. I use them as archery back stops with hay bales in front. You can pin target to the hay bales with archery target pins would be very quiet.

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?