Home Made Pellet Traps

Author Topic: Home Made Pellet Traps  (Read 13705 times)

norka

Home Made Pellet Traps
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »
I thought I would make my own pellet trap, not so much to save money but also for the fun and pleasure of any DIY project. I'm going to experiment with layers of carpet, checking to see how many layers my G1 will pass through. I'm just going to start with a cardboard box to hold the carpet, 18" wide, 12" tall and about four inches deep.

If the carpet proves an effective material at stopping a pellet, I plan on building a simple wooden open fronted enclosure to hold the layers of carpet.

Very soon I plan on getting an F1 Chrony and two new rifles, (Venom Dusk .177and the Trail XL 1100) so a pellet trap will be needed while measuring the rifles.

Good day shooters, update at 11!

thekid

Re: Home Made Pellet Traps
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
use duct seal, you can find at home depot or lowes.

I built a box 12x16 out of 2x4s, I then put the duct seal inside the box, something like 8 packages( $2.99 a pack) then I put a face plate with big square in it on the front of the box made of walnut from flooring. I then screwed a clip board to the box and cut out a big square in the clip board, this allows me to hang my targets and the duct seal holds the pellets. GREAT pellet trap and quiet.Rob

Offline RedFeather

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
Try the carpet stacked on itself rather than back-to-back.  Someone has a trap made with about a foot or so of stacked pieces, compressed with two long threaded bolts and a top/bottom plate.  Claims it will last for thousands of shots.  No worry about finally punching through the layers.

norka

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
use duct seal, you can find at home depot or lowes.

I built a box 12x16 out of 2x4s, I then put the duct seal inside the box, something like 8 packages( $2.99 a pack) then I put a face plate with big square in it on the front of the box made of walnut from flooring. I then screwed a clip board to the box and cut out a big square in the clip board, this allows me to hang my targets and the duct seal holds the pellets. GREAT pellet trap and quiet.Rob
I like the clip board idea for holding the target, Rob. I just came up from the basement, shooting at 45' I started with four layers of carpet. I only took two shots, after the first shot I looked at the back of the box, it did not go through. The same with the second shot, When I examined the carpet, both pellets went through three layers and embedded and mostly through the fourth layer.

And there's plenty of room for at least six additional layers, maybe more, in the four inch depth. I'm excited to get my new rifles and see how many layers they go through. Also at closer distance, like when I use the chrony, the G1 might go through more than four layers. I'm going to go check in a minute. And the two pellets I shot, they almost kept their shape intact, the skirts were bent, that was about it! Crosman pointed .177. BRB with the close up shot at four layers of carpet!

norka

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
Try the carpet stacked on itself rather than back-to-back.  Someone has a trap made with about a foot or so of stacked pieces, compressed with two long threaded bolts and a top/bottom plate.  Claims it will last for thousands of shots.  No worry about finally punching through the layers.
Great idea about compressing the layers, thanks RedFeather.

norka

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »
Sure enough, at about 18 inches away from the box with four layers of carpet inside, the pellet from the G1 past through the box and dented the 3/4 inch plywood backstop about 1/32th of an inch deep, (guestimate).

I think using carpet, compressed especially, will make a very good and long lasting pellet trap. YEAH!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
I believe this is the thread Red was talking about:

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=234&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I was thinking of making something like that, but I ended up buying a bale of hay. It works pretty good. :)

jakerox43

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
I used two sides of an old computer case, angled to knock pellets downward.

Offline Daysailer

• Marksman
  • Never forget the price of Freedom
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »
Things to think about when shoot'n into traps,  'specially indoors.

Noise...duct seal is sometimes referred to as "silent trap"  .... steel plate   >:(

Lead dust created by impacts.   paper, carpet, rags- :(  steel plate  >:(....  duct seal  :)

Repeated impacts in same place target after target... paper, carpet :(....  duct seal ??? clean occasionally  ...steel plate  ???

Pellet recovery for recycling...probably a wash if the trap is designed right.

Easily portable...  over 10K pellets into my duct seal trap.  100% pellets recovered, No lead dust to pollute my home.  Only pellet on paper noise.  Built from scraps around the house and about $20 at local home improvement store.

Walther LGR-U
FWB 124 Sport
HW30S Peep
Sheridan Blue Streaks, '71 & '75
Crosman 147 ('56-'62)
Crosman 766, 1980 (original owner)
1377's, '82,'09,'10  (all still 10" pistols...so far)
Daisy 717

jefunjsh

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:26:13 AM »
The one I made recently for my AM77 is just a box with a piece of wood from an entertainment center stuck into it at an angle, but with a pillow stuck in the dead-space and a piece of carpet pushed up against the back of the target-face by the pillow.  It works great since the wood stops anything that might go through a big hole in the carpet, but the cotton from the pillow keeps all of the ricochets from bouncing out after they've hit the wood.  I've put 1,500 shots into it, and I've got several 1" or bigger holes in the carpet and it's still catching the pellets.  All I've done is stapled on a new piece of cardboard a couple of times.  I probably don't even need the carpet, but it doesn't hurt to have it.

Offline JMJ in NC

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
Lots of info about pellet traps on this site. I reviewed many types before building mine, which is essentially an elongated @=S+S%^$# silent trap. I print targets on 8.5 x 11 card stock and they slip right into grooves built into my trap. I used duct seal because I wanted a silent trap. I can also recover the pellets by digging or popping them out of the duct seal if I so choose.

I tried a clipboard at first but after one or two fliers pinging off the metal clamp, I opted for the the groove approach.

The carpet idea sounds interesting. Might try it for a second long-range target build.

JMJ
  • Hillsborough, NC
Paper, fur & feathers

norka

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
Lots of info about pellet traps on this site. I reviewed many types before building mine, which is essentially an elongated @=S+S%^$# silent trap. I print targets on 8.5 x 11 card stock and they slip right into grooves built into my trap. I used duct seal because I wanted a silent trap. I can also recover the pellets by digging or popping them out of the duct seal if I so choose.

I tried a clipboard at first but after one or two fliers pinging off the metal clamp, I opted for the the groove approach.

The carpet idea sounds interesting. Might try it for a second long-range target build.

JMJ
Yep, thanks to all that posted your own ideas and designs, good stuff! My favorite idea was what redfeather mentioned and the accompanying link that OldiesButGoodies posted. I was surprised in a good way that the stacked and compressed layers didn't need to have much depth to them. When Red first described that design, I thought it would be a big bulky block.

And Oldies, is that a 65 Fairlane in your avatar pic?

Online gene_sc

• GTA A Cut Above The Rest
  • Executive Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • GTA A Cut Above The Rest- In God We Trust
    • CharlieDaTuna
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »
My home made target traps made by former member of GTA. they work great....
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH:   HW-97K,  Crosman Kantana, CZ-200, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery,  Remington NPSS .177, Crosman Venom, Crosman RamQuest, Gamo 440, Gamo S1K, Gamo CFX Synthetic, Gamo CFX Royal,  RWS 24

Offline RatRacer

• ↓ A General once again ↓
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »

Malibu
  • Florida

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »

Malibu

Correct! ;) You got the year right though, Norka.

Offline Random Plinker

• GTA Moderator
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
This post shows mine, including plans for making it from standard 3/4" plywood with a table saw.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,2340.msg36983.html#msg36983

Like Gene's box, 5 1/2" Gamo target cards (or half sheets of standard 8.5"x11" card stock) simply drop in the front slot.  No binder clips or clip boards are required.  Three pounds of duct seal from the electrical connections section of a home improvement store, pressed in over a few loose fit steel plate strips on the back wall gives a two inch duct seal depth.  A front bottom ledge keeps paper punches, dust, pellet peices, etc. from falling out all over the place.  Turn it upside down over the trash and it all falls out nicely.  A matching two inch wide bottom back ledge elevates the steel plate and duct seal so that no more heavy duct seal than required is needed.  Never had a pellet come back at me.  It's been light weight, portable and storable.
  • NC
TX200 LH Walnut 177 UTG 4-16x40AO
BAM B26 177 Xisico 3-9x40AO
Gamo BigCat 177 UTG 3-9x32AO (GRT, Gene Tuned)
Daisy 853 177 CMP SSP
QB78D 177 Xisico 4x32AO
Crosman 2300T 177 Open LPA Sights RB Grips

ChickenSlayer671

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
I just finished building mine a couple weeks ago. I used 3/4" plywood all around, 4" of plumber's putty (couldn't find duct seal). This sucker is heavy!

I put two sheets (layered) of 16ga stainless steel as a backing (I want this trap to last long).

I also built a drawer for easy clean up.

I then screwed everything together before I painted it to check for fit or last minute changes. The two angle irons on the sides hold the clip board in place and also protect the sides from strays.

The finished project.

One Shot One Beer

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
Just beautiful.
I'm no craftsman but that inspires me to at least give it a try with some materials I have lying around the house.

Offline Muppit

• dave
  • Expert
  • g1 extreme NP, Titan GP, 2400kt
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
i made a quick trap last fall out of a cardboard box and carpet padding. cut the padding to the size of the box and the just put it in the box put the lid back on and shot away all winter. had to get a new box the target area got to shot up to hold the target but the padding held up fairly well and only penitrated about six inches carpet workes better because its more dense but i had none
kill count
0 red squarrels
4 starlings
1 gray squarrel

Offline clip

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 04:07:58 AM »
 I made my outdoor trap using a 10x14 inch electrical junction box. I placed a double layer of Duct Seal in the back and it stays outside ready to go. My indoor trap is larger..it's 22 inches long by 12 inches wide and 5 inches deep with a 2 inch depth of Duct seal. I place it on its side so I can attach 2 targets side by side. It's made of 1/2 inch plywood sides and back with steel reinforcement plates over the outside back just in case a pellet goes through the seal and plywood. That's never happened but I'd rather be safe.
  Larry

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?