How Far Can A Pellet Ricochet?

Author Topic: How Far Can A Pellet Ricochet?  (Read 8217 times)

Offline dukemeister

• Sharp Shooter
  • Practice hasn't made me perfect
Re: How Far Can A Pellet Ricochet?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »
You can use chairgun to estimate what speed and energy will reach you on a ricochet; just double the distance to the target. This is probably the safest way to estimate, assuming the target returns all the retained energy.  Some quick estimates show a 12 fpe gun (8 gr at 820fps muzzle) can return 7.5 fpe @ 660 fps from a 10 yard target, about 4fpe @ 450 fps from a 25 yard target, and surprisingly 1 fpe @ 260 fps from 50 yards. Thats a lot of ricochet! 1 fpe is probably enough to break a window, it's about the energy of a steel bb at 300fps (a weak bb pistol or a Red Ryder). :o
The Gun Whisperer
Duke ))))----//----------==

Offline Remo

• Marksman
Duct Seal for safe indoor non-ricochet trap
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »

Sold in 1 lb blocks at big box hardware stores.  Check the electrical section.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:01:47 AM by Remo »
AA S410 .177
Talon SS .22/.177
Crosman NPSS .177
Beeman R-7 .177
Beeman C-1 .177
Crosman M4-177
Daisy 953 .177
Beeman P-1 .177
Beeman P-3 .177
Crosman 2240s
Colt 1911 .177
Sig Sauer X-Five Open (BB Blowback)
Tanfoglio 1911 Witness (BB Blowback)

thekid

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
when I was about 13, I had an air rifle made in czech republic ( unknown type)  and was shooting at my uncles. We were shooting at 15 yards and had glasses on, He said let me try and aimed for spot on fence and the pellet came back and got him just under the glasses and broke the skin.

He danced around for a minute then never tried again.Rob

Offline DMikeM

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 12:29:15 PM »
Pellet 10 yards straight back from a knot hole in a tree gave me a third eye for a few days. Hear a few hit some roofs on houses 25 yards away when I hit the spoon spinners.

Worst ricochet was a .22 rimfire shot at a toilet tank that was about 200 yards away. Round came back and hit my Oakley M-Frame glasses on the right eye side. Dented the lens cut and bloodied my nose cut my cheek under my eye and left me with a good shiner. Oakley replaced the glasses for free. I was around 24 at the time so silly me didn't know that porcelain is used in body armor. Used a shotgun with slugs from behind a rock 50 yards away to destroy said attacker. Made me feel so much better.
RWS Diana M34 Panther .22 Chopped with Vortek Kit and seal
Xisico BAM B40 .177 Custom Vortek
Xisico BAM B40 .177 (From Felix)
Xisico XS-B28 .177 Custom Vortek, Chopped with a brake
Xisico XS-B28 .22 Vortek PG2 and seal Chopped
BAM XS-B26-2 .22 cal Sporter Stock (Converted to .177) Chopped
Ruger Air Magnum .177  Monte-Carlo Wood stock Vortek PG2 and seal, Chopped with Brake

Furseeker

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 08:32:03 PM »
I had a similar golf ball experience that Gene mentioned above.  I was at my brothers house and he was pitching a few golf balls while I was plinking with the Big Cat. He hit one out to about 35 or 40 yards. I shot it and the pellet came back with vengance, right pass my noggin. I've sworn off shooting at them after that.

John in PA

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
About two years ago I was outside one Saturday afternoon practiceing for my freehand shooting competition with my 22 cal TX 200.It was early January and about 30 degrees outside so I would step outside and shoot ten pellets away at my one inch steel swinging targets. Its the target that has four one inch disc on the bottom and as you shoot them they set themselves and then you have to shoot the one on top to reset them. I was shooting away when I heard one hit and go whizzing across the yard.It hit something over close to my garage which was probably thirty yards off to the right. I figured it didn't have enough power to hurt anything so I kept shooting. After I had finished I started to wonder about what the stray pellet might have hit? I stood there looking around and I noticed something moving at my above ground pool.A quarter inch stream of water was squirting out the side of the pool about two feet from the top. There was ice frozen on the top of the pool and I had to chip it away to get my arm down inside to patch the hole. Patch kits don't work very well in freezing cold weather!
 Later that year when we opened the pool I found the pellet. It was smashed completely flat and had flown 32 yards and penatrated the side of my pool. I started respect my airguns a little more after that considering this wasn't a high powered model. John

Offline Random Plinker

• GTA Moderator
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
Awesome thread!  I'll never use my Birchwood Casey resetting metal spinner target, in the back yard, again.  Too much neighborhood too close to target.  I've always used soft wadcutters (Peak or TF, versus CP Match) thinking most of the pellet energy would be spent flattening the soft lead pellet.  Reading this thread has given me a healthier respect for what could happen.  Back to duct seal traps in the backyard...

• NC
TX200 LH Walnut 177 UTG 4-16x40AO
BAM B26 177 Xisico 3-9x40AO
Gamo BigCat 177 UTG 3-9x32AO (GRT, Gene Tuned)
Daisy 853 177 CMP SSP
QB78D 177 Xisico 4x32AO
Crosman 2300T 177 Open LPA Sights RB Grips

Offline Karl der Grosse

• Shooter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
I use old plywood for the backing behind my spinners at 20 yards.  This morning, I decided to take a few moments and enjoy the warm weather and plink a few times.  Just for the heck of it, I decided to try to hit a small hole in the plywood as the target to see how close my scope still was.  After the shot and a loud "THWACK" I heard a lite zing and then a thunk followed by a tink.  LOL  The pellet had ricocheted off the weather-hardened plywood, came back and hit the house and finally, hit the side of my AC unit.  It was a double ricochet of at least 25 yards.  Fortunately, it hit the side instead of the coil of my AC.  Talk about a repair bill, Mama would have been miffed to say the least.

My spinners will sometimes lob them back a ways but not like that hard plywood.  I believe in wearing safety glasses at all times.

joe

I hear ya'!  We just had new windows installed last year, so the targets are going farther back into the woods.

My last ricochet was entertaining.  It sounded like one of those spinning fireworks.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Snaab9-2

• Suffering from Disco Fever
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
I use old plywood for the backing behind my spinners at 20 yards.  This morning, I decided to take a few moments and enjoy the warm weather and plink a few times.  Just for the heck of it, I decided to try to hit a small hole in the plywood as the target to see how close my scope still was.  After the shot and a loud "THWACK" I heard a lite zing and then a thunk followed by a tink.  LOL  The pellet had ricocheted off the weather-hardened plywood, came back and hit the house and finally, hit the side of my AC unit.  It was a double ricochet of at least 25 yards.  Fortunately, it hit the side instead of the coil of my AC.  Talk about a repair bill, Mama would have been miffed to say the least.

My spinners will sometimes lob them back a ways but not like that hard plywood.  I believe in wearing safety glasses at all times.

joe

I hear ya'!  We just had new windows installed last year, so the targets are going farther back into the woods.

My last ricochet was entertaining.  It sounded like one of those spinning fireworks.

That is exactly what my last one sounded like too and it was why I made this post.  I was like hey!... man, that thing was loud and it went for a distance!  :)
Benjamin Discovery 22: Heavy Hammer Spring, 6.5 TKO and 2 screw trigger mod 
Crosman 2100 and Crosman 3100

Offline sshewins

• Plinker
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »
I was sitting in the minivan, door open, classic police style.  I took aim at a 1 X 6 pine board, roughly 20' away.  It was sitting on the ground, propped up against the garage door.  The gun was a gamo pistol.  the pellet didn't have enough energy to actually dent the wood, but it veered up and over, hit a tree, and landed behind my back on the seat.  Learning had occured...
Crosman 2289g.     24" barrel, steel breech, CP 3-9 X40, polished trigger, AC Customs FT piston, trigger spring w/ guide,  7" LDC, Airgun Alchemy FT valve, pivot pin, extended probe bolt.

Offline Addictedtoair

• Team FX
  • GTA Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »
I have had the self healing Champion Prairie Dog target whip .177 pellets back as it spun around and hit against the side of the house behind me. Distance was a good 30 yards.

Brett
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:09:38 AM by Addictedtoair »
  • TN, Murfreesboro
FX Independence .22/Gamo Whisper .177

London177

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »
Good post :)
I have had them come straight back at me when shooting at anything too soft or too hard. I now only shoot into my wooden pellet catcher box that has a thick carpet backing to absorb the pellet's energy. Even a pellet travelling at a 100fps can penetrate an eye.
regards,
Alan

Offline Karl der Grosse

• Shooter
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:44 PM »
I have had the self healing Champion Prairie Dog target whip .177 pellets back as it spun around and hit against the side of the house behind me. Distance was a good 30 yards.

Brett

Ditto!
Who is John Galt?

Offline trapshooter

• Shooter
  • When you pray for rain say Amen with a hoe!
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
Self healing spinner target at 20 yds with wadcutter. It came zinging back at me and bounced off the side of the house next to my head. Lucky i wasn't hurt. Learned my lesson the hard way
AA TX 200
Hamerli 850
Quest 1000
Crossman 357
AA S500
Crossman 1377
Browning Buckmark
Beeman P17

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?