GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

anyone make their own smooth twist ??

(1/1)

Rob M:
not like the fx really, but lets say a smooth 15 inches followed by an aligned rifled 10 inches??  I saw some experiments back in the day, and it seems like folks have moved on.

grandadg:
on First glance this looked like a daft Idea !! But actually it could be made to work. You would not need the full length 10" you suggested because I believe that would not work at all as most pellets are at the full speed by about 11" in a spring gun. And the smooth twist from FX guns has only a couple of inches of twist at the very end of the barrel. This twist rate is dead slow Around 56-1 I believe,and actually narrows the bore enabling the rifling effect to grip the lead. If you were to use a section of rifled bore it would only need to be very short but would need to be choked down in order for the pellets to be gripped as they have already been sized to the smooth section so would not engage the rifling unless the choke was enough to enable some grip just before the pellets exited the muzzle. Next time someone has need to remove the choked section from an airgun barrel it would be an ideal opportunity to experiment with the Idea.

Rob M:
makes perfect sense, I know on some other forums guys tested this out years ago , couldnt find any of the threads.. thanks for the input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version