GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

How to pick 10m PCP air rifle?

(1/4) > >>

Mtl_Biker:
I just sold my Feinwerkbau 602... an amazingly accurate rifle with a size/balance that worked well for me. Now I'm looking for a good PCP replacement and I'm overwhelmed and confused by the choices. And whatever I buy, it'll have to be mail-order from a dealer somewhere which doesn't allow me to actually hold the rifle prior to purchase.

Take Feinwerkbau for instance... When I look at the Cibles Canada Targets website, there are nine variants of the 800 and one 700 ALU.

And on the Krale website, when I search for air rifles for 10 meters, I get EIGHT different Feinwerkbau choices... five variants of the 800 and two of the 700.

And that's only considering Feinwerkbau. I should be investigating Walther and particularly Steyr as well (because I love my EVO-10 pistol).

Where and how could I possibly figure out which model would be best for me?

My use of this rifle would be only for 10 meter competition shooting, and of course I'd like something that meets the new ISSF regulations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

ac12:
Unfortunately, part of the choice is fit.  I found that some rifles and pistols fit me better than others. 

Here are some thoughts:
- A wood stock is more comfortable to handle in extreme temperature conditions than a metal stock.  The metal stock is colder in cold temp and hotter in hot temp than a wood stock.
- The metal stocks have more adjustment to fit the stock to you than a wood stock.
- I dot not know how carbon fiber feels vs wood and metal.
- Some people can feel the effect of a recoil absorber on a rifle, I can't.
- If you use riser blocks, a rifle/sight like on the FWB-700 with the built in adjustable risers might be worth considering.
- If you are LH, which rifles and models are available LH.
- Ignore the Field Target sub-models.  Those are NOT 10m rifles.
- Ignore the running target sub-models.  That is only for the specialized running target event.

Go to the TargetTalk.org web site and ask the question in the rifle section.

Mtl_Biker:

--- Quote from: ac12 on November 08, 2016, 06:19:06 PM ---Unfortunately, part of the choice is fit.  I found that some rifles and pistols fit me better than others. 

Here are some thoughts:
- A wood stock is more comfortable to handle in extreme temperature conditions than a metal stock.  The metal stock is colder in cold temp and hotter in hot temp than a wood stock.
- The metal stocks have more adjustment to fit the stock to you than a wood stock.
- I dot not know how carbon fiber feels vs wood and metal.
- Some people can feel the effect of a recoil absorber on a rifle, I can't.
- If you use riser blocks, a rifle/sight like on the FWB-700 with the built in adjustable risers might be worth considering.
- If you are LH, which rifles and models are available LH.
- Ignore the Field Target sub-models.  Those are NOT 10m rifles.
- Ignore the running target sub-models.  That is only for the specialized running target event.

Go to the TargetTalk.org web site and ask the question in the rifle section.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for your thoughts!

If I'm going to buy (new) then I'd like to get the latest and greatest, so that it lasts me a long time (probably for the rest of my shooting life).  Isn't the FWB 800 newer than the 700, or are they concurrent models?  In FWB, I might be looking at the 800 Evolution Top.  And I really should look at what Steyr has, because I'm real happy with my EVO-10 pistol.  I think that an aluminum stock is the way I'll be going for this purchase, because I like the adjustability and the looks.  And I have other rifles with beautiful wood stocks.

I wonder how the manufacturers will deal with the new ISSF rules... I know someone with an FWB 700 who will have to cut down the grip in order to be under the 140mm limit (from the centerline of the barrel to the bottom of the grip).  I'd much rather have a rifle that meets the new rules from the manufacturer than have to start sawing down and modifying any gun I buy.

ac12:
he he
I will NEVER be able to out-shoot my old P70-jr. 
And I will likely keep it until I can't shoot.

The AL stocks will make fitting easier.  BUT, don't get lost in the adjustments, as it can be a rat-hole, chasing change this, then that, then back to this, then . . .

Don't forget Walther.

Since I'm not shopping, I have not kept up with the rifle models, so can't tell you about the FWB 800 vs 700.

The manufacturers will have to change the rifles to match the rules.

gud luk

Mtl_Biker:
Right now I'm looking at the Feinwerkbau Evolution Top which I could get here in Canada from a superb dealer (not local, but at least in Canada).  Also because I like my Steyr EVO-10 pistol so much, I'm considering the Steyr Challenge, but that one I'd have to order from Europe (not really a problem) because I can't find anyone in Canada who stocks or even sells it.

Do any members here have experience or thoughts on either of those?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version