GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

How Much Duct Seal?

(1/14) > >>

Hoosier Daddy:
I am in process of building my indoor pellet trap for the winter months and can either angle the back with a steel plate liner, or mahe a flat back with Duct Seal. I like the idea of Duct Seal due to it being quite on impact. Means I can shoot in the early mornings while Hoosier Momma is still snoozin.
 All that said, I see Duct Seal is sold by the pound (lbs) bars. well, I have no idea what size that would be, but assume it is pretty dense. My pellet stop is designed to hold a 9" x 12" standard clipboard so the back is that size. How much Duct seal will I need to cover that square and at what thickness?

EMrider:

For guns shooting up to 12fpe at distances of 10 or more yards, I have found the thickness of the one pound bars to be plenty.

Above 12fpe, I go with two bars stacked on top of each other. 

Hoosier Daddy:

--- Quote from: EMrider on October 10, 2016, 07:41:01 PM ---
For guns shooting up to 12fpe at distances of 10 or more yards, I have found the thickness of the one pound bars to be plenty.

Above 12fpe, I go with two bars stacked on top of each other.

--- End quote ---
2 bars stacked the entire width? In other words what thickness to cover my exterior dimensions?
And how does one clean the pellets out ? Especially in a (hopefully) concentrated area?

Thinking an angled back with a substrate in the floor would be easier...
But I am concerned about bounce back ricochets.

Back_Roads:
 1 bar thickness will stop a 115 grain bullet shot at 770 fps at 10 yards approx 150 foot pounds of energy :)

maraudinglizard:
Here is my solution to a quiet target, I use a large cardboard box(15Wx12Hx8d) filled with old clothes. I have a 2x12 cut to width placed in the box and the clothes(folded)placed on top and seal up with packing tape. It will stop a 207fpe .45 slug at 50yds. The slugs rarely make it to the lumber. When full just shake the clothes out and restuff the clothes back in. This is how I recycle my lead for casting. It's portable as well(weighs 15lbs) No ricochets or anything bouncing back out. I use plaskolite to replace the face of the target.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/PLASKOLITE-2-5-ft-x-3-ft-x-3-9878-mil-White-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet/3381288

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version