GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Condor is on a roll

(1/5) > >>

only1harry:
I got up early today and put suflower seed out, and also some crackers, cookies and pretzels to hopefully attract a crow or Starlings again.  Since I shot the crow last week the Condor .25 was getting anxious to get another one :)

Well nothing all day except for song birds and a couple of Blue Jays that were cleaning me out.  Sometimes I wish there was a season on the Jays...  No Starlings either because it is unseasonably warm in the 50's.  Around 1pm I put the Condor away and took out the Disco .22 because I saw Starlings across the street.  Almost an hour later no Starlings and the bait is getting very low from the song birds and Jays eating it for hours.  Even the black oiled sunflower seeds are very low.  Around 2:30 I heard crows near by and grabbed the Condor again and headed downstairs where I have the blinds opened just a few inches.  The bait site 23 yards out is very quiet and no song birds.  That's a good sign a crow might very close and thinking of making a landing.  About 5min. later a good sized squirrel comes strolling in.  He goes straight to the last few sunflower seeds left and goes to work.  He is facing me just like the last one I took with the Disco .22 a few days ago.  I put the mil dot on his forehead and waited until he came up again.  He was eating very fast and his head would go back down within 1-2 seconds.  Finally he comes up again, puts his head down a bit to open the seed, and I sent the JSB King 25.4gr to him.  Upon impact the nutter flipped on his back and stayed there.  His tail quivered for 5 or 6 secs and it was over.  Very quick kill.

I went out to retrieve him and realized it is the same exact frontal shot I made on the other squirrel a few days ago with the Disco.  Pellet entered the skull and exited out the middle of the back by the spine.  Identical shot with the head in front of the body and no death dance, except the holes are bigger now and almost no blood.  I was almost ready to pack it up but the day ended pretty well.  As I picked up the squirrel another started barking at me no more than 25-30 feet away on a tree above.  Probably its mate.  I am kind of glad I shot the male and not the female.  The season is almost over so hopefully that female will give me more nutters to shoot next season.

First pic is how I found him.  MV was 1,030+fps on the lowest power setting.  I had made the same shot with the .25 Predator a few years back and it took the top of the squirrel's head off.  The JSB King is not as destructive but does the job quite well.

BenjiHunter:
Great shooting, pictures and story, Harry!!

aceflier:
Nice shot Harry!

dk1677:
Great placement Harry!

pepegraves:
Nice shot, Harry! You didn't wanna wait for that crow????  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version