GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

Sears - Crosman 1400

(1/9) > >>

Paddy:
I am rebuilding a Sears Crosman 1400 with slide breech. It was my father's. He purchased it around 1970.I have had it since 1989. For the last 25 years, it has sat in a wardrobe. and does not work.

I recently installed a seal and pump head kit from Tim Mac. I tested the pump with everything installed expect the barrel. It doesn’t work. It appears not to be getting any air into the system rather than a leaking system. I am also unsure how the gun cocks as nothing seems to move at the trigger end when pumping.

I am hoping someone might be able to give me the benefit of their experience and get this old gun operating again.

Thanks.

avator:
They are self cockers. Your problem is most likely the quad seal in the cocking cap at the rear end of the valve. You can use google to search Crosman 1400 reseal (or the like) and link to posts from the GTA. Searching the 140 may give even more insight. They function the same but the 140 may be more common. Tons of info here.

Paddy:
Thanks.

I thought I did a good job with the quad seal in fitting it properly as the various utube clips emphasised it being tricky so unsure if that is a problem as it seemed to be well seated.

I read that the gun self cocks but don't see any movement in the trigger components to confirm that it is cocked. 

avator:
And you won't. They just "knock" the valve open. I don't know the technical terms but there is a collar in there that has a hole that lines up with the transfer port. That hole is offset and closer to one end of the collar than the other. If I'm not mistaken the collar needs to go in so the hole end is closest to the valve. Been awhile since I resealed one. I still suspect the quad seal, they are tricky little boogers.

Paddy:
Yeah I will check the collar I'm sure that the hole is closest to the valve end and the quad seal seems to fit over the value end with some pushing which suggests that the seal is effective.

When I look at the transfer port without the barrel fitted I can see the brass quad and the outer seal. I will post a picture of that.

It seems to me that the pump is not getting air to charge the brass valve compression chamber. Its like no air is entering the cylinder for the pump head to compress into the valve chamber.

I hope you get my drift.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version