GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

Benjamin Franklin 137

(1/1)

pcktknf1:
Looking for some historical info on a BF137 that was included in a knife collection purchase I made last month. Thrown in on the deal was a very nice, original condition Benjamin Franklin 137 displaying neither serial number nor caliber designation. Left side markings are "Benjamin Franklin Made in U.S.A." No markings on right side. Back plate has "137" and "Benjamin Air Rifle Co. St. Louis U.S.A." in a circle right to left. Smooth walnut grips and 6-grooved walnut pump handle attached with 2 steel pins. Rear sight is dovetailed in, not screwed on. It has a small height adjustment screw. I've fired it a few times and it seems to work fine with a couple of pumps. It also came with a vintage, very high quality Von Lengerke & Antoine (VL&A Chicago) #429 holster. This was the Chicago sporting goods house bought out by Abercrombie and Fitch in the 1930's. I'm guessing the gun was purchased at VL&A as well, as this collection came out of a north Chicago suburb. I think VL&A went out of business in the early '60's.

I know this model ran from 1942 to 1986, but this has to be an earlier one. Does anyone know when serial number and caliber markings were first employed? Or when Benjamin stopped dovetailing the rear sight? Thanks.

Hoosier Daddy:
Hey Mike,
 Surprised no one has answered this so I will give it a whirl and a bump back to the top...
I believe Benjamin started serializing in guns 1957.... At least that is what I have learned on my 312 rifle.
If that is the case with the pistols as well, that makes your 137 a '56 or earlier.

Get your post count up and and you can attach a photo. That may help.

Also, I know this is a 132 blog but the differences in identifying pre '52 may help...
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/benjamin-model-132-pistol-disassembly.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version