GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

OEM Exhaust Valve - Benjamin 342

(1/1)

SpiralGroove:
Hey Tim,
Received a valve replacement kit from you and scope mount yesterday ;).

Read over your instructions and was surprised to see you recommending the OEM exhaust valve over the new (cheaper) one for the re-build.  This assumes the OEM part is in reasonably good condition.
So today, I tried to clean up the OEM part (using my lathe to spin) and it looked good, .... until I noticed two small cracks running across the seal?  Before cleaning, the gasket piece between the cracks seem to contain a flake of lead from a pellet or debris.

Here are two photos:

So IYO, should the part be reused, repaired or discarded?

- Also, only the rear-end, Lead Gasket came out when the valve was removed.  I think I need to get in there to remove this older piece for the rebuild as your PTFE gaskets are better - right?
I think re-using the lead parts is not recommended - right?

Thanks,
Kirk

TimmyMac1:
The best exhaust valves we see are the late 70's and 80's vintage Sheridan stems. I fashion the back of them to accept the Benjy spring. Even over 30 year old parts will go another few decades if not torn up or damaged on the sealing surface. The older Benjy stems do not have as good a seal material as the Sheridans did. Yours is toast and the one in the kit is NOT a new part. It is an 80's take out. On the 342's they often have a long valve spring that can be shortened a little by taking it to coil bind so it relaxes a bit. That will make it easier to get the valve open and it will clear more pumps.
TimmyMac1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version