GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

392 Better or Worse?

(1/10) > >>

10gaOkie:
As a boy, I had a 312 Benjamin. It was my favorite gun back then. Thinking about buying a 392 to relive some of those memories....maybe. Is the 392 better or worse than the 312 or 342? Of course I will have to scope it as my eyes are certainly not compatable with open sights I used years ago.

Chris

GumpIsrael:
I've personally had a lot of trouble with the newer 39X series rifles. They require work right out of the box, the triggers are heavy, and the barrel maybe oversized. IMO, I think that the new guns can't hold a candle to the old ones. My '62 Dan is my proof. There are vintage airgun vendors out there, and you could probably get a good 312 or 342 if you keep your eye out. Baker Airguns is one such site, IDK what any others are aside from gunbroker.com- with that though, there's no guarantee your not buying someone else's nightmare.

longhunter:
I agree. the new guns are a crapshoot. best to find a vintage pre-crosman buyout gun.

Hoosier Daddy:
Like many here I have the new 392 and it's ancestors. My "new-2-me" 342 is being shipped today so I am relying on 40 year old memories for that one.
The old ones were well built airguns and have stood the test of time.

While they are all basically the same length the top 392PA (2015) feels like a larger gun.
it does have some plastic parts like the trigger guard and the wood finish is more "modern". The positive to it is you get a warranty and parts are available direct from Crosman.
The bottom 312 was bought for the "Vintage" aspect and I like it for that. Fun to shoot a airgun that was made right after WWII.
It is a smaller gun because it is narrow and light. Rebuild parts are available, but if you need anything other than seals and valves you are not left with many sources. Maybe a Parts donor gun.
 Now, that said, one you haven't mentioned and may not know about is the middle 392P. They were made right after the Crosman buy-out from some left over parts from Benjamin and new parts from Crosman...
 I LOVE this gun! all metal, nice trigger and very sturdy. and it feel adult sized. Again, part supplies are limited but still available.
Seems like Bakers has a few 39X P at all times.
 The best part of a new 392PA is if you do happen to get a lemon, exchange it under warranty... and Crosman's customer support is one of the best out there.

Also, I too "Drank the Kool-aid and recently picked up a Sheridan Blue Streak. While similar, it is a different animal. I have it taken apart for refinishing but when it arrived I was surprised at it's size. It is smaller than I remember I thought they were big as a kid. About the same as a modern 392PA.
They are held to a different standard. Top quality and I bet they made a million of them so parts are easier to come by... but pricey.
The down side to a 'Streak to me is pellet availability and selection. They only came in .20 and you got a choice of about 5 different pellets that need to be ordered. I like being able to go to the local Walmart and pick up a tin of .22 pellets and shoot a Benjamin when ever I want.

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:

--- Quote from: Hoosier Daddy on February 01, 2017, 07:20:52 AM ---Like many here I have the new 392 and it's ancestors. My "new-2-me" 342 is being shipped today so I am relying on 40 year old memories for that one.
The old ones were well built airguns and have stood the test of time.

While they are all basically the same length the top 392PA (2015) feels like a larger gun.
it does have some plastic parts like the trigger guard and the wood finish is more "modern". The positive to it is you get a warranty and parts are available direct from Crosman.
The bottom 312 was bought for the "Vintage" aspect and I like it for that. Fun to shoot a airgun that was made right after WWII.
It is a smaller gun because it is narrow and light. Rebuild parts are available, but if you need anything other than seals and valves you are not left with many sources. Maybe a Parts donor gun.
 Now, that said, one you haven't mentioned and may not know about is the middle 392P. They were made right after the Crosman buy-out from some left over parts from Benjamin and new parts from Crosman...
 I LOVE this gun! all metal, nice trigger and very sturdy. and it feel adult sized. Again, part supplies are limited but still available.
Seems like Bakers has a few 39X P at all times.
 The best part of a new 392PA is if you do happen to get a lemon, exchange it under warranty... and Crosman's customer support is one of the best out there.

Also, I too "Drank the Kool-aid and recently picked up a Sheridan Blue Streak. While similar, it is a different animal. I have it taken apart for refinishing but when it arrived I was surprised at it's size. It is smaller than I remember I thought they were big as a kid. About the same as a modern 392PA.
They are held to a different standard. Top quality and I bet they made a million of them so parts are easier to come by... but pricey.
The down side to a 'Streak to me is pellet availability and selection. They only came in .20 and you got a choice of about 5 different pellets that need to be ordered. I like being able to go to the local Walmart and pick up a tin of .22 pellets and shoot a Benjamin when ever I want.

--- End quote ---
WOW!!! You sure have some Real Aces there Scott !   VERY VERY NICE RIFLES INDEED !    So Now SHOW That Silver Beauty in Snow Camo too !      Best Wishes   -   Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version