GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

Why isn't .20 cal. popular?

(1/51) > >>

Smaug2:
After looking at airgun specs for awhile, it seems to me that .20 cal. Is the best compromise for many uses, especially for non-PCPs.

Where .177 is going too fast for accuracy at a given power level, that same power level in .20 is still fast, but not so fast that it approaches the sound barrier. Where .22 is too slow and loopy in non-Magnum springers, .20 is just nicely flatter while still offering an impact advantage over .177.

Add to all that that it's a nice round number, either in inch or metric. (5mm)

It seems to me that gun mfrs. are charging too much for the guns. They need to offer them at the same price as .177 or .22 versions of the gun. Pellets should be priced by weight. This might require an investment on the part of the mfrs. until people start buying them in high enough quantities.

The end result is that in certain classes of gun, it would be a Goldilocks caliber.

I've thought of buying Guns in .20 often, but I already have thousands of .177 pellets, and didn't like the idea of paying more for that caliber. What do you guys think?

Wayne52:
I don't know when the first manufacturer started using that size but to my knowledge it would have to be Benjamin that made a lot of them. My Bluestreak is the only one that I've had, I shot quite a few squirrels over the years with it.  I used the Beeman silver jets for ammo and they seemed the best but they don't make them anymore.

Sfttailrdr46:
 :D I have a Beeman RX2  and it is a .20 I have found it to be a nice shooting 20 fpe rifle so great power and accuracy for anything out to 50+ yards carries well in mild wind and although I have not used it for pests I am sure that it will get it done if I do my part. I'm not sure why it seems to be the red headed step child caliber because I agree it fills a nice place in the pellet line up

RBQChicken:
I agree with you about the .20 caliber. If you look at .177, .20 and .22 pellets next to each other, it's amazing how much bigger the .20 looks than the .177, yet it doesn't look all that much smaller than the .22

JerryinWI:
I just purchased my first .20 cal 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I have many 177's and 22's but I think the 20 cal has become my newest favorite caliber. I bought a silver streak from a forum member and now going to have to buy more pellets because I can't stop shooting it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version