GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

Possible cause for 392 accuracy inconsistency.

(1/7) > >>

Martis 1:
I hate proving my lack of intelligence publicly, but from time to time it's of befit to others... ;D
I've had a love hate relationship with my 392 since I bought it.  It'll start to group well, then throw fliers.  Sometimes it won't even group well. 

Tried all kinds of pellets.  Cleaned the pain over spray.  Cleaned the barrel.  Seals are good.  Barrel's straight. 

My opinion on the cause of poor/inconsistent accuracy?  Too much secret sauce!  I've used a lot on both my 397, (which was really accurate until I lubed the heck out of it), and on my 392. 

I've been lazy and haven't used the secret sauce in a while, and noticed that I'm actually hitting things with the 392 lately.  In spite of not lubing the gun in several hundred shots, I shot the gun the other day from the hip, as I wasn't sure if I'd loaded a pellet or not.  I could see quite the mist blast out the barrel, (no pellet).  This leads me to believe I've been using way too much lube.

Opinions?  (And while, "you're an idiot", is a valid opinion, it doesn't need to be stated.  My boss tells me that about once a week, and my wife points it out 3-4 times a day. ;))

Ron.

Rob112o:
To much could be causing an issue, but after a couple shots that problem should be resolved. Check to see if the bolt oring is visibly still good. Next, pump up load a pellet and put a paper towel over the action then shoot. Finally, cock the bolt drop a pellet in, push the pellet up and close the bolt, pull the bolt back again. See if the skirt of the pellet is pass the TP inside the barrel. I've never had a 39x seat the pellet skirt on the TP, but I wouldn't be surprised if Crosman is making a mistake here. The 13xx have the skirt right on the TP.
   When is the accuracy bad? At what pump count. With combinations of pellet and pump count. I've noticed some rifles that do well with CPHP at 4 pumps won't do well with a different pump count.
   Check the crown with a Q-tip. Insert Q-tip into muzzle when you pull back out if there is even the slightest catch of the fabric. You need to address that rough spot. Whether it's a burr or a piece of over spray still in there.

Rob112o:
Another thing. Cock bolt get a strong light and shine it into barrel. Look down the barrel from the muzzle and see if you see anything. Have you cleaned it recently as well?

Martis 1:
Yep guys, I've done all of the above.  Crown is pristine and easily passed the Q-tip test.  O-ring is good, although just to be sure I replaced it once.  Pellet sits well past the transfer port.  Transfer port and everything else in there looks smooth and good.  Bolt area passes the tissue test.

Gun does shoot a bit better after a barrel cleaning, but not a lot better.

When I try a new pellet, I try it at 4 pumps, 5 pumps, 6 pumps, and 8 pumps.  Doesn't seem to make a difference.

I always thought the problem was iron sights and old eyes, but then I scoped it and found that the groups didn't get any better.  I'd say it's the shooter, but with my scoped out Disco and various powder burners, I'm at least an OK shot.  Even tried different scopes, although the one I started with is fine.

The trigger on this gun is unusually good.  Using the scope and with the gun rested, I could see that the cross hairs stayed solid on the bull until after impact. 

Everything about this little gun is really good.  Fit and finish are awesome.  Everything functions smoothly.  The Williams peep is adjusted to nearly dead center to hit at point of aim and the barrel looks perfectly aligned. 

I got the best groups with Crosman domes and with the pointed target pellet that came in the JSB sampler, but with nasty flyers, especially with the Crosman's. 

Best consistent accuracy is with the 18 grain JSB's I use in the Disco.  Groups aren't as tight, but less flyers. 

It wasn't fond of the couple H&N's I fed it, and hated the Crosman destroyers and hp's. 

I just don't know...

Ron.

Rob112o:
Hmmm, have you tried pushing a pellet down the barrel? Try that and examine the pellet when it falls out. The pellet comes out with a flat spot or something. Take notice of the rifling if it engaged it well. Along the way take notice of anything slightly off while pushing the pellet. Whether it gets easier to push or harder to push in a given area.
   You said the barrel looks to be dead center to tube. Have you put a ruler up against it to see if the barrel has a bend in it. I doubt it, but worth a check.
   When I find a tin that shoots well in a given rifle. I'll write the name on the tin and that tin will be designated for that rifle. I've had a tin of Crosman domes shoot well in a given rifle. Than a different tin of Crosman domes not so well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version