GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Claw .50 @ Air Bolts meet a jungle Boar

(1/5) > >>

Nomadic Pirate:
Today I was planning to hunt an area that is pretty thick and the Dragon Claw with AirBolts is a great combination for this kind of hunting.

Plan was to drop down in this valley then just hunt upstream.

I took pictures to show the different areas I went through

This are definitely thick conditions, Brush and ferns on the way down
( all habitat pictures where taken on my way out )

Then when you get at the valley floor you just wear the jungle  ;D

It's a slooshy, muddy, slippery, steep affair, definitely work  ;D

At one point to continue I had to cross the creek since the opposite slope is more friendly  ;)

Then continue on

Plenty hogs signs in the muddy grounds

At one point I was climbing to get over a ridge when I heard the unmistakable sound of a pig squealing so I approached the crest and peaked over very carefully, couldn't see anything nor hear anymore fighting,......than all of a sudden I heard the unmistakable sound of a hog cracking Kukui nuts, I had no eyes on it and the ground was very noisy so I decided to post behind a tree and be patient.

I kept hearing the cracking of the nuts but I couldn't pin it down nor get a visual, than all of a sudden like a ghost it appeared, a very nice Boar, his Gray/Blond coloring was perfect camo for the area so good thing I stayed put, if he wasn't moving he probably would have busted me before I did.

When he appeared was about 50 yards away coming in my general direction from left to right, the slope to my right was getting pretty steep so I was hoping that would make him come more my direct direction, so he did, at one point was coming straight at me, I got ready and if he kept going I was ready to take a head on shot, however at about 25 yards he turned to his left and gave me a very slight quartering away shot, he was still moving and my window was tiny so I took a quick shot ( no time to think at all )

He took of like lighting, watched and listen to him tear into the brush,

It seemed like forever but probably after only 10 or so seconds I heard the "Death Moan" (very common when you hit a boar in the lungs with an arrow) and thrashing in the bush, I then knew I had a boar down.

Something I haven't done in awhile, track a blood trail in thick vegetation ( such a great practice )

1st I went the hit was and found the arrow.

So I was shooting an arrow with this kind of BroadHead, a Snuffer 160gr

And this is what I found after the clean passthrough

I couldn't tell what the arrow hit but the broadhead got completely destroyed, meaning that after it passthrought the boar it was still traveling extremely fast ( remember I'm shooting at half power on a stock gun )

Anyway, back on the blood trail, the Boar in the end made a semi circle and ended up about 50 yards from the hit, ....love tracking blood trails, even if at times was huge at other times I had to backtrack and really pay attention, lots of fun.

Anyway here is how I found the boar

That is the Exit hole

the entry hole is a bit harder to see

A very, very happy hunter

This sure was an awesome day,
 it's cool to hunt of blinds and feeders but nothing beats walking and looking for them.

This combination Gun/Arrow for this kind of application sure is great

aceflier:
Awesome write up! Congrats on sticking one with the claw. Look forward to more of these hunts. Would like to see the claw kill one with a pill also.  ;D

Marauder22:
I didn't realize Oahu has jungles and streams Manny Lol.  I guess growing up here we think of it as the concrete jungle.  Nice Pua'a down!  Perfect for this coming New Year's feast!!!  Great shot with that gun.  I was thinking of picking up one to toy around with.  How do you like it?

Tater:
Great hunt and rite up Manny. I really liked the pics too.

grizzlyadams:
 awesome as usual Manny...When did you pick up another claw?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version