GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Rainstorm .30 scouting/hunting trip

(1/5) > >>

Nomadic Pirate:
So, this morning I went out to Scout a new area (BTW what I found was fantastic, I'm forcasting some good hunting in this whole area in the future  ;) )

I decided to give the Rainstorm .30 the nod, 1st time out I wanted to see how the full length ( with LDC ) and bipod would work in this more open areas full of Boulders.

On my way up I spotted a couple mongoose at different times and tried a stalk but both times I was unsuccessful.

After I did a good scouting on my way back I slowed down to real hunting pace, as I was making my way through this area I heard the unmistakable sound of a Peacock call, I immediately dropped to the ground and started to play the cat and mouse game, trying to locate the bird but being real careful not to get spotted by the great eyesight those guys have, as I'm peaking around I hear the call again, now I was able since I was concentrating towards that area to pinpoint to a better degree the direction the sound came from and I was able to be even more stealthy,  I was in a real good spot, hidden by big rocks and plenty trees I was feeling good about it.
......than all of a sudden the unmistakable bright blue neck jumped on top of a rock and than one more followed, adrenaline starting to kick in, to big male birds out at about 60 yards and coming my general direction.

Good thing about this terrain is that as critter move they will go behind boulders and trees, so as soon they did exactly that I placed my Storm (thank god for the bipod  ;) ) on top of a rock trained in the direction of the birds, got myself comfortable crosslegged with elbows resting on my legs, and settled in for the painful wait  ;D .

the 2 birds appeared and disappeared a few more times but they where definitely coming somewhat towards me, Than at about 35 yards they again stepped on top of a boulder and where looking around, This is as much I was going to risk it  ;D ;D

With the precision showed to me by this gun I had no reservations whatsoever about taking a shot at the tiny Peacock brain.

I slowly, very slowly got the crosshairs in place on the bird on the right, ans as soon as he seemed to concentrate on one spot and was still I pulled the trigger, the bird dropped behind the rock, the other one ran and hopped away at warp speed.

Now I was waiting to hear the telling sign of furiously flapping of the wings,......nothing, I saw the other bird run away but I never saw the one I shot run away, still waiting,.....nothing, now I'm getting nervous, did I miss ? what happened ?

At this point probably a good minute passed and still nothing, so I decided it was time to go investigate, Slowly walking up to the spot, I finally notice the bird piled up, than all of a sudden the death dance started, very violent for several seconds,... :o :o :o Wow, never seen such a long delay.

This is where and how the bird stopped

Moved the bird on a rock for pictures

Entry Wound

Exit Wound

The Storm .30 delivered

LOVE THIS RIFLE !!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL

dk1677:
Nice one Manny!

aceflier:
Looks like it scrambled his noggin for sure. Thanks for sharing. Good lookin bird!

Wildcatter:
Peacocks aren't legal to shoot here.  Do you eat them?  I would think them a little tough and gamey, but what the heck do I know???

smythsg:
Awesome story, nice pictures, lights out... Great shot Manny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version