GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

Target Rifle Recommendations Under $500 and Under $1000

(1/7) > >>

mparker:
Looking for recommendations for a 10 meter target rifle, new or used, in two groups:
1) $500 or less
2) $1000 or less

It's for for an experienced shooter that is not familiar with airguns.

JMJ in NC:
PCP?

Avanti 887 is less than $500 with sights. Crosman Challenger is $650ish with sights. Same for Airforce Edge. All have LW barrels.

If you want SSP, there are usually a few FWB guns on AA classifieds at about $500.

JMJ

ac12:
For the $1,000 limit, it looks like a precision rifle.
But for the $500 limit, are you looking for precision or sportster?

For the $1,000 limit, look for a used tier 1 rifle.
- You will get a better rifle with a used tier 1 rifle than a new tier 2 or 3 rifle.
- Anschutz, Walther, Steyr, FWB.
- You likely have to look at SSP or co2.  If you are lucky, you might find an older CA/PCP for under the limit.
- Check out the Targettalk.org buy/sell/trade section.
- Caution, ambi rifle socks are compromise stocks.  IMHO they are neither right hand nor left hand.  Some may be more comfortable than others, but better is a dedicated RH or LH stock.

Under $500, I will presume precision rifle
- First option, I would try to stay with a used tier 1 rifle.
- - Tier 1 will likely be SSP or maybe co2.  Pricing is what you can find.
- - Spring is another option, but more difficult to shoot accurately compared to SSP and co2.  There is a reason spring rifles are obsolete.

- 2nd option, a new tier 2 rifle. 
- - Sorry but I don't have any recommendation for these.
- - Some are: AirArms MPR, CZ-T200, Tau-200

- Tier-3.  Caution, some tier 3 rifles are advertised as 'target rifles' but when you look at the CTC group size, they are so bad in comparision to a tier 1, that I would not use them except for casual target shooting.  In fact some are so bad that some of the sportster rifles will outshoot them.

CAUTION.  If he is planning on competing, the ISSF rules are changing, and that will make rule compliance impossible for many of the older rifles.  How close the various matches and organizations follow the ISSF rules is the key.  If this is just casual home shooting, then who cares.

Hoosier Daddy:
I am interested in the $500 group as well.
 ac12 For us novices here can you please explain the "Tier1, "Tier2" and "Tier 3" of which you speak. Perhaps give examples?
I am just starting in the designated 10M target shooters and came here looking for info on the FWB 300S... But if the new rules changed to where I could not compete with that I may do more searching.
 mparker Speaking of that... If your friend is just wanting to dip his toes in the water and see if he likes it. I can say as a 10M newbie personally, that I am really enjoying my Beeman AR2078-B. It is Co2, not PCP so it does not require the additional ($$$) accessories. Plus the B model is a side lever, with a choked barrel, and a heavier muzzle compared to the cheaper AR2078-A. For a buy in price of $225 if your friend finds it's not his cup-o-tea he is not out much.
To me... that gun is jaw dropping accurate at 10M for it's price out of the box. AND for another $100 Mike at flying Dragon will work his magic on it to make it even better.
 But if it is also deemed Illegal for competition, I guess it is regulated to "just for fun".

Motorhead:
10 meter ...
FWB 300 or Diana 75 which are early 80's era World class 10 meter spring guns, still to this day can be found and resealing service parts are available.

Both can be found +/- 5-6 bills with recent rebuilds done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version