GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Field Target Gates

Dallas Field Target Club Matches (Announcements and Results)

(1/4) > >>

DFWdude:
Dallas Field Target Club Match Results... Feb.11, 2017

After cancelling our Dec match due to the weather, we couldn’t have found better temperatures for Saturday’s Feb. 11, Dallas FT Club Match.  At match time it was a sunny 71º, and by match end it was a balmy 85º.  This is February, right?

The only problem…  The warm weather also brought lots of wind, from manageable 5-10mph breezes, to 20-35mph gusts, seemingly at random.  With winter foliage (read no foliage) on the trees, the wind was free to cause havoc at the most unexpected times.

Still, we were pleased to see 23 shooters appear to have fun.  For the first time in memory, we had more piston shooters (7-WFTF and 4-Hunter) than Hunter PCP participants.  Kevin Enzian did an excellent job running the proceedings as Match Director.  Thanks, Kevin.

The course of fire was 60 shots, spread among 10 lanes (3 per lane), including 6 kneeling and 6 standing shots.  The course was designed to increase the Standard Deviation overall, to 10.8.  This meant that no KZ was smaller than 3/4”, the average KZ being 1-1/4” over an average distance of 30.5 yards.  The resulting course difficulty was an AAFTA minimum 28 Troyer (before wind).

Welcome back to four friends who made long trips… Matt Sawyer, Leo Duran, Robert Droege and Jim Clarke.  And welcome aboard to some new shooters trying out the game… Jack Judd, Jonathan Rebmann, William Quiles, and his son Alexander. 

The scores were not as good as a 28 Troyer would have predicted, certainly due to the wind.  Match High score was only 80%, a 48/60, shot by Bob Dye in Hunter PCP.  Matt Sawyer won the WFTF Piston Class with a 42.  Mike Vredenburg shot the high score in Open PCP with a 39.  And newcomer Jack Judd shot a fine 27 to win Hunter Piston, matching Curtis Eskind’s 27 in Open Piston.  William Quiles led three Fun Rifle shooters with an 81/120 score. 

There were two target malfunctions, so these were credited to all.  However, not all scorecards reflected this.  So in double checking scores after the match, I made several adjustments to add points to half a dozen scores.  The scoreboard below reflects the revised match scores.

All in all, a great start to the 2017 Field Target season!

Click image below for larger size...

jentry:
Bob and Dallas FT, thanks for hosting a very fun shoot! I had a blast for my first time and look forward to getting out again soon.

DFWdude:
Our next Dallas FT Club Field Target Rifle/Pistol match will be at 9:30am, Saturday, April 8 at Elm Fork.

The range will open for sight-in at 8:00 or so.  Please try to arrive by 8:30 to sign-in, and practice.  The required Safety meeting will begin promptly at 9:15am (You will not be able to shoot if you miss this meeting).  Shuttle golf carts will run as in the past, but if you arrive at the parking lot a the cart is not there, call cell number 214-493-9225.

This will be a 52-56 shot rifle match, followed by a 36-40 shot pistol match.  PLEASE, let me know (rd3294 at tx.rr.com) if you intend to shoot rifle, AND whether you want to shoot the pistol match as well.  RSVPs will determine whether we have the pistol match.  We've welcomed several new shooters lately.  So if you are one of them and you need to borrow equipment, let me know in your reply so I can recruit someone to share with you.

The match fee will be $20 per person ($15 for Club members).  Shoot the pistol match for free.   As always, $10 of this is paid to Elm Fork and does not benefit DFTC.  Please bring cash. 

2017 Club memberships for 2017 are still available... $25 for the whole year, with the usual $5 per match discount.  (Pay your membership April 8 and shoot the match for just $15.)

So, mark your calendar and let me know (reply to sender only) that you plan to join us April 8!

As a reminder, directions to Elm Fork are here... www.dallasftclub.org

DFWdude:
Dallas Field Target Club Match Results... Apr. 8, 2017

Saturday dawned a pleasant 65° with sunny skies, but blustery winds.  In these parts, the Texas rollers usually build in the afternoon as the temps rise.  But on this day, the wind appeared at daybreak, steady at 10-15 mph, and gusting to near 30-35 mph throughout the match.  A real challenge that affected everyone... well, nearly everyone.

The course of fire was 52 shots, two targets on each of 13 lanes.  This included 4-shots kneeling and 4 shots standing.  Elm Fork Shooting Sports came through by mowing the 2-3 feet tall weeds in the common areas and our large sight-in range.

While I had carefully carved wind-protected lanes in the tall weeds the day before, they also mowed down five of these shooting lanes into a broad field.  This exposed a huge area to the winds forecasted for Saturday.  Not as planned, but whatever.   

I’d like to think the gusty wind promised scared away some folks.  In the end, we had 18 intrepid shooters show up to challenge themselves in some guaranteed tricky conditions.

Kevin Enzian reserved himself an exclusive place in the “zone” for the day, leaving everyone behind with a Hunter PCP score of 47/52, missing only one, non-forced position shot.  Stellar performance, Kevin.

Mike Vredenburg shot the next highest score, a 42/52 in Open Class.  Don Carmack posted the third highest score, 40/52, in Hunter PCP, followed closely by Terry Vanpool’s 39.

Tim L's spiffy rifle...

Matt Sawyer used an HW97 borrowed from an always generous Jeff Cloud to post a 31/52 in WFTF Piston, six shots better than Jeff (how rude, hehe).  Tony Vaserfirer brought a new rifle to shoot a 27, to win Hunter Piston.

The Egret has performed well since Feb…

We’re fortunate to have several new folks trying FT in N. Texas.  One of the minor challenges is to keep the matches on a timely track, so we can shoot a pistol match in the early afternoon.  At this match, we used timers on every 2nd or third lane to coach people along and provide a hint of what will be expected at the September Rep of Texas GP.  No penalties for running out the timer, but rather to make people aware... and it worked.

Brad V. shoots standing...

Thanks to all for coming to the match.  Our next will be on Saturday, June 10.  Here are the Results.

DFWdude:
Our next Dallas FT Club Field Target Rifle match will be at 9:00am, Saturday, June 10 at Elm Fork in Irving, TX. This is a half hour earlier than last time since sunrise is now earlier for the Summer.

The range will open for sight-in at 7:45 or so.  Please try to arrive by 8:20 to sign-in, and practice.  The required Safety meeting will begin promptly at 8:50am (You will not be able to shoot if you miss this safety meeting).  Shuttle carts will run as in the past from the parking lot to the dedicated AG range.

This will be a 48-56 shot rifle match, followed (for sure this time) by a 36-40 shot pistol match.  Several people have bought FT pistols recently, so this is your chance to play with it.  You may also practice shooting fun rifle during the pistol match if you want.

PLEASE, let me know (here or in email) if you intend to shoot rifle, AND whether you want to shoot the pistol match as well.  RSVPs will determine how may lanes we set for pistol.  Several of you are new to the game, so if you want to sample equipment, let me know in your reply so we can recruit someone to share with you (rifle or pistol).

Just a reminder... We've learned with experience that June is Chigger month in N. Texas.  So we will have sulfur powder to splash on your legs.  You can also bring your own repellent, especially good for the skeeters if the wind lays down.

As usual, the match fee will be $20 per person ($15 for Club members).  Shoot the pistol match for free.   As always, $10 of this is paid to Elm Fork and does not benefit DFTC.  Please bring cash.  Click the link in my signature below for directions posted on the club website.

So, mark your calendar and let me know (reply to sender only) that you plan to join us June 10!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version