GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Support Equipment For PCP/HPA/CO2

Hand Pumps

(1/4) > >>

fatmatic:
Does Mac1 still sell hand pumps?

ssbn617:
You might want to pm him, but if he does not , I would recommend a Hill

TimmyMac1:
HEAVY USERS BEWARE OF PUMPS AND GUNS PUMPED! Factors for Corrosion concern when using Hand Pumps for Airgun Charging.
Relative Humidity is going to affect how much water is contained in the atmosphere and thus affect how much you are putting into your gun. Avoid high humidity in general and pumping during the early AM when high humidity is worse.
Heavy Airgun usage is anyone who shoots more than 20 shots per day. That translates to 73,000 rounds per decade.
If the gun is your only gun and the Source is exclusively Pump Air you should consider mixing your Air sources so that at least half of the Air is from a very dry source.
When we see a Heavy user, with one gun, in a moist environment and using pump air exclusively we see the internals of the gun get ripe for corrosion. Raw metal, heat and moisture has always been a recipy for mechanical failure.
I liken it to a car driven within a small city only, that never comes all the way up to normal operating temperature. Pumps kill themselves and they kill Airguns. I do not fix pumps but I do fix Airguns.
If you think it is no big deal to have all these risk factors you are wrong and your wallet will learn I'm right.
DON'T LEARN THE HARD WAY AND DON'T EXPECT ANY SYMPATHY WHEN YOU NEED TO BUY A TUBE.
WHEN PURCHASING AIRGUNS BE AWARE OF THE RISK FACTORS.
Many will sell a Gun as soon as it starts to leak. It is pretty obvious to me that many consider the internet a great place to dump on others to make sure they are not holding the bad gun that is a corrosive joke inside and has started to fail.
Most Airguns are a Matrix of metals where the tendency is for the light metals to be attacked by the destructive forces created by dissimilar metals in a corrosive environment.
IMO there should be mandatory Hydrotest of All Airgun vessels as often as tank Hydros. I wouldn't want the crash test dummies to give us a kneejerk reaction. WE should be proactive and make sure the Customer understands when putting his or herself at risk.
Instead the dealers have decided Pump sales are good and education would cost them sales.
THIS IS EXTRAORDINARILY RISKY COMMERCIAL BEHAVIOR. THIS IS IGNORANCE BEING PERPETUATED FOR PROFIT!
THIS WILL END BADLY.
Be Safe! Pressure deserves respect.
TimmyMac1

GumpIsrael:
Tim, I agree with you 100% on hydro testing airgun vessels.

Last month I was actually debating in my head to ask about the actual resevoirs in airguns holding up to over an extended time with the effects of humidity in play, glad to know others are concerned as well.
It is exactly the reason I have shied away from PCP guns- I like a gun to have a fairly self contained power source that I won't be fearful of 30 years down the road.

Vincent_Diesel:
Hi Timmy.

I am intrigued by this post. I use to hand pump, and I have noticed the amount of water being released when I bleed the valve, so I am a believer that hand pumping contributes to future problems.

Now that I am using a CF high pressure tank, is there a risk of condensation being introduced to your PCP gun as well? Also given the same environmental factors such as humidity in the air?

--- Quote from: TimmyMac1 on August 09, 2016, 12:40:11 PM ---HEAVY USERS BEWARE OF PUMPS AND GUNS PUMPED! Factors for Corrosion concern when using Hand Pumps for Airgun Charging.
Relative Humidity is going to affect how much water is contained in the atmosphere and thus affect how much you are putting into your gun. Avoid high humidity in general and pumping during the early AM when high humidity is worse.
Heavy Airgun usage is anyone who shoots more than 20 shots per day. That translates to 73,000 rounds per decade.
If the gun is your only gun and the Source is exclusively Pump Air you should consider mixing your Air sources so that at least half of the Air is from a very dry source.
When we see a Heavy user, with one gun, in a moist environment and using pump air exclusively we see the internals of the gun get ripe for corrosion. Raw metal, heat and moisture has always been a recipy for mechanical failure.
I liken it to a car driven within a small city only, that never comes all the way up to normal operating temperature. Pumps kill themselves and they kill Airguns. I do not fix pumps but I do fix Airguns.
If you think it is no big deal to have all these risk factors you are wrong and your wallet will learn I'm right.
DON'T LEARN THE HARD WAY AND DON'T EXPECT ANY SYMPATHY WHEN YOU NEED TO BUY A TUBE.
WHEN PURCHASING AIRGUNS BE AWARE OF THE RISK FACTORS.
Many will sell a Gun as soon as it starts to leak. It is pretty obvious to me that many consider the internet a great place to dump on others to make sure they are not holding the bad gun that is a corrosive joke inside and has started to fail.
Most Airguns are a Matrix of metals where the tendency is for the light metals to be attacked by the destructive forces created by dissimilar metals in a corrosive environment.
IMO there should be mandatory Hydrotest of All Airgun vessels as often as tank Hydros. I wouldn't want the crash test dummies to give us a kneejerk reaction. WE should be proactive and make sure the Customer understands when putting his or herself at risk.
Instead the dealers have decided Pump sales are good and education would cost them sales.
THIS IS EXTRAORDINARILY RISKY COMMERCIAL BEHAVIOR. THIS IS IGNORANCE BEING PERPETUATED FOR PROFIT!
THIS WILL END BADLY.
Be Safe! Pressure deserves respect.
TimmyMac1

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version