My new marauder and new to this level of airguns.

Author Topic: My new marauder and new to this level of airguns.  (Read 939 times)

Offline StarlingChaser

• Pest Shooter
  • Shooter
  • yes
My new marauder and new to this level of airguns.
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
Hey, new to this forum and fairly new to the world of air rifles on the adult level. I have mostly shot .22LR and .22 MAG. I had air rifles when I was younger. I am a research junky and have read many things about air guns and watched all kinds of videos so I started with a Benjamin NP2 .22 break barrel. It was OK but I could not get the accuracy I was hoping for or at least not with my normal shooting style. I got rid of it and got a Benjamin Marauder Gen 2 Syn. stock .22. and have a UTG 4-16x44 AO scope mounted to it. To start all I have is Crosman Premier hollow points 14.3 grain that I had for my NP2. I shot the gun straight out of the box at 27 yds. and scared the !@#$ out of me. I was shooting 6" and 8" groups! Based on some things I had read on here. I removed the baffles and had no clipping. I removed the barrel and did a very good cleaning as per Pyramid Air`s video. I made sure the barrel shroud was not touching the guide ring at the end. I went back out and shot 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups with over half the shots in 3/4". That was much better. Does this sound about right for this pellet on average for this gun? I ordered the 12 pellet variety pack form Precision Airsports on eBay and got them today. They are mostly H & N and JBS varieties with a few others. They are supposed to be the best rated group for .22. I also bought a chrony to test these with but that will be this weekend I hope. Am I on the right track so far? Any other advise from Marauder owners would be great. I mostly just target shoot and shoot Starling since I live in farm country and they are everywhere. My #1 goal is accuracy. Power is good if I can have accuracy also but only if accuracy does not fade. Thanks for any input.
  • Boonville In
Benjamin Marauder  Synthetic .22 with a UTG 4-16x44 AO scope.

Online avator

• Old Timer
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Beatles Modded-
Re: My new marauder and new to this level of airguns.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:22 AM »
That Chrony is going to be your friend. It's not so much that the gun don't like certain pellets as it is that certain pellets like different speeds and ranges. The Marauder is so tunable that, with the chrony, you find you pellet and you range. I just got mine and I have a chrony. Now I'm in the market for a compressor because I don't want to do all that pumping and my 3000 psi tank will keep me running up and down the road to refill it. Then, believe me, me and this gun are going to get intimate.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama
Favorite Everyday Shooters:
Marauder .22
XS-60C GenI .22
2-22XX Carbine HPA .177
2240 Stubby .22
Blaze NP .177
2-M/M Daisy 881
2-Mendoza RM377 .177
2-XS-12 .177
2-XS-25 .22 (FT)
Vintage - too many to list

Offline anti-squirrel

• Expert
  • Fliers are part of the game
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:37:22 AM »
I was shooting 6" and 8" groups!
If you get a chance, order the sample pack from Straightshooters.com  $35 gives you 18 common pellets in .22.

Now- for a spell Crosman had a slew of .22 MRods with less-than-good barrels.  But- all is not lost.  if you can get yours apart enough to inspect the crown and inside the muzzle, give it a go.  Look for damage or dinged rifling, and if you do have it, contact Crosman ASAP.

You're on the right track, and getting a Chrono is an absolute must.  Bill is on the money with what he says.
  • Richmond Vuhginya
owner of:
the least pellet-picky PP700 PCP pistol
a horrible very accurate 760 pumper
and a sweet repeater-breech RWS wadcutter-lovin' QB-79

Offline StarlingChaser

• Pest Shooter
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
That Chrony is going to be your friend. It's not so much that the gun don't like certain pellets as it is that certain pellets like different speeds and ranges. The Marauder is so tunable that, with the chrony, you find you pellet and you range. I just got mine and I have a chrony. Now I'm in the market for a compressor because I don't want to do all that pumping and my 3000 psi tank will keep me running up and down the road to refill it. Then, believe me, me and this gun are going to get intimate.

Ya a 4500 PSI tank would be great. Right now I have a hill MK4 pump. It works pretty good and I get a work out. I plan on shooting the fire out of this gun.
  • Boonville In

Online avator

• Old Timer
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Beatles Modded-
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »
You and me both Brother.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama
Favorite Everyday Shooters:
Marauder .22
XS-60C GenI .22
2-22XX Carbine HPA .177
2240 Stubby .22
Blaze NP .177
2-M/M Daisy 881
2-Mendoza RM377 .177
2-XS-12 .177
2-XS-25 .22 (FT)
Vintage - too many to list

Offline StarlingChaser

• Pest Shooter
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
I was shooting 6" and 8" groups!
If you get a chance, order the sample pack from Straightshooters.com  $35 gives you 18 common pellets in .22.

Now- for a spell Crosman had a slew of .22 MRods with less-than-good barrels.  But- all is not lost.  if you can get yours apart enough to inspect the crown and inside the muzzle, give it a go.  Look for damage or dinged rifling, and if you do have it, contact Crosman ASAP.

You're on the right track, and getting a Chrono is an absolute must.  Bill is on the money with what he says.

I have had the barrel all the way out when I cleaned it because I wanted to inspect it as good as I could. I am not 100% sure I would know by looking if it was good or bad but I did not see anything I would not call normal. Are there any pics of what a bad one looks like? The 12 variety pack I ordered came with H & N Baracuda Match 5.51, 5.52, and 5.53 pellets in 21.14 gr. They are more expensive than the regular Baracudas. It seems kinda odd that there would not also be the standard 5.5`s also. Do you think I should try those at the same time as the rest also. I hope these heavier pellets do the best. If they do, do you think a good fps to start setting the gun to would be around 850 fps? From what I see on here that seems to be a good average for power and accuracy on most .22 pellets. I know I don`t get to pick the pellet, the gun does, lol.
  • Boonville In

Offline Wayne52

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
I'm really glad I finally got a tank going myself ;D
  • Kalamazoo Mi
HHD Sup Com Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam 71-72

Online tracker1955

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
Yes 850 FPS is a great starting point and plenty of energy at just about 30 FPE. Most Gen II Marauders shoot either JSB exact 18.13 gr or H&N barracuda match 21.14 gr best. The barracuda's are available in 5.52 and 5.53 head sizes and the Marauders often like the larger head size due to loose fitting barrels. Mine also shoots the Polymag shorts reasonably well out to 30 yards and they hit hard. Good luck on finding your ideal pellet and enjoy your new Marauder.
  • LaVergne Tenn.

Offline kkarmical

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »

Ya a 4500 PSI tank would be great. Right now I have a hill MK4 pump. It works pretty good and I get a work out. I plan on shooting the fire out of this gun.
I have a Hill pump and let me tell you, at least you're not using a Benjamin pump cause once you start fine tuning, it's not impossible, but just not fun.
I have a tank now only pump as a back up.
Jsb's & don't forget polymags to that try list.
  • Fairfield, CA
Kral .22 Breaker Silent Marine- Tuned by Travis
Synrod .25 Bullpup - Motorhead WAR tune
Benjamin Trail NP2 .22
Stoeger ATAC .22

Offline StarlingChaser

• Pest Shooter
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I will post results when I get them so others can use the info just like I have used yours. I will shoot one square of cardboard with all 12 pellets and post a pic with them all labeled.
  • Boonville In

Offline Wayne52

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »
I've retired my hand pumps for behind the seat of my truck when I go hunting ;D
  • Kalamazoo Mi

Online Dairyboy

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »
Sounds like your off to a good start with getting the pellet sampler. Chances are you'll have one shoot better than 3/4" at 27 yards.
  • Outlook, WA
.177 P17
.177 XS46U
.177 PP700S-A
.22 M10
.22 Daystate Regal XL
.25 Daystate Regal XL
.25 Taipan Veteran (ordered ;))

Offline MattMac91

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:03 AM »
My old .22 gen2 mrod @$%^ the jsb 18s well. Get rid of those crosman pellets or use them to dirty up that barrel. MY mrod did shoot a lot better when I cleaned the barrel and every other gun since then has preferred dirty barrels ;)
  • Nashville Tennessee
Daystate Hunstman Regal xl .25- Hawke SW TAC 30 6.5-20x44

Offline Wayne52

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »
JSB's are my go to pellets for everything
  • Kalamazoo Mi

Offline Extreme .457

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 01:28:37 AM »
   I owned a .22 Marauder, after ALOT of tuning, shooting, cussing and PRAYING she started shooting good! After about 1000pellets and never cleaning the bbl again she was shooting GREAT!!!! JSB 18.1
Barracuda Match 5.53 21.14 out to 100yds on calm days!!! Fill pressure was 2800psi for sweet spot and best accuracy. Baraccuda Match were shooting 30 plus shots on an average 815fps. A buddy wanted to get into airgunning and made me a nice offer that filled my need to purchase a Daystate Regal .22 used for $650!!!!! I still have that Regal and she gets shot ALOT!!!! Marauders are great starter guns, FT guns, hunting guns, a man can't go wrong with one. A lot of after market parts and ALOT of support out there for them. I traded for a Gen1 .25  ;D MAN I LOVE this Girl!!!! I made a walnut with ebony stock for her, sent her to Travis at WAR for a complete tune!!! LORDY she is used ALOT!!! I use her for predator hunts (fox and Bobcats) have given up the ghost because of my Maruarder .25 HN Barracuda at 835fps I think that's  50fpe Very accurate with this set up, the MKII also are very accurate and 809fps great ammo. I prefer the big and slow theory better accuracy for me.

Best of luck and congrats on your Marauder you will work out the kinks. 👍🏽
  • Texas, Odessa

Offline Deckard1973

• Marksman
  • What are you looking at?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
As other have stated, you will find a pellet size that will really work well in your MRod. 
For me, it was the 5.52 size. 
I even tried the RWS Meisterkugeln pellets, and they did not group very well at all.
I have had good luck with JSBs, and H&N. 
Recently I have been looking into mods, but found a post by triggertreat who only added a WAR TSS and MDS to his otherwise stock MRod, and was able to get his ES down to 1.61% for 30 shots.  That is the kind of consistency I am looking for.
Good luck and have fun!
  • Central NY
Benjamin Marauder .22 Gen I WAR SSG
IZH 46M

Online FuzzyGrub

• Old Timer
  • yes
    • Joe Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
I would focus on the JSB 18.1g and 15.89g, and H&N BM 21g in 5.52-5.53 head size first.  As long as they are shooting somewhere in the 800 fps, should be fine. 
  • New York
1720T .177 Carbine / BSA 2-7X32AO
P'rod 2201 Pistol / Williams Open Sights
P'rod M4 .177 Carbine / BSA 2-7X32AO
PM'rod .22 Rifle / Simmons 6-21X44AO
MP'rod .22 Rifle / Leapers 4-16X40AO
M'rod .25 MDRL Bullpup / Leapers 3-12X44AO
S'rod Gen II .25 / Simmons 6-21X44AO
W'rod Gen II Reg'ed .177 / Leapers 4-16X56AO

Offline pcp_Dave

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
After the first tin of JSB 18's my mrod starting spraying pellets. I cleaned the barrel etc etc.
It was just that the next tin of JSB's were &^^&. Right now I'm shooting H&N field trophy I buy from fieldsupply dot com. good shipping price and good price on the pellets. Something else I did that brought the groups way down was to dink with the focus ring on the back of the scope and the side focus wheel to clear the parallax. Before I was just adjusting the side wheel for clearest picture. That was not really handling the parallax. I had to dink with both adjustments. the adjustment on the back of scope doesn't look like it does much when you focus on the reticle but it does affect parallax.
My set up is .22 genII marauder and UTG 4-16x44 accushot scope.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110474506@N08/33457165071/in/album-72157677957822353/
  • Tallahassee Florida
Marauder .25
Marauder .22
Crosman 2240
Crosman P-17
Gamo P-80
Gamo Compact
Walther Terrus .22

Offline styger

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
I'm not sure of your cleaning procedure but did it tell you to check the transfer port for sharp edges.  My Marauder was inaccurate when I received it.  I ordered a new barrel from Crosman and followed some of the original procedures with mother's polishing compound in order to clean and polish the barrel.  Used a foam ear piece to polish the transfer port and replaced the breech oring.  It does clover leafs at 30 yards with most pellets now.
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Offline Deckard1973

• Marksman
  • What are you looking at?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
I'm not sure of your cleaning procedure but did it tell you to check the transfer port for sharp edges.  My Marauder was inaccurate when I received it.  I ordered a new barrel from Crosman and followed some of the original procedures with mother's polishing compound in order to clean and polish the barrel.  Used a foam ear piece to polish the transfer port and replaced the breech oring.  It does clover leafs at 30 yards with most pellets now.

Can you say the polished barrel prefers one pellet over another?  I know you said "most pellets now."  As I stated previously, my OEM, unpolished barrel likes the 5.52 pellets.  Wondering if I polish it, will I have to go up to 5.53???? 
Thinking of polishing mine . . .
  • Central NY
Benjamin Marauder .22 Gen I WAR SSG
IZH 46M

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?