GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Welcome to the Best of the Best! > Welcome New Members

New to the forum, ready to take the pellet plunge

(1/2) > >>

Michael P Ollard:
TL;DR Version -- want to take out squirrels, rabbits, and raccoons, narrowed down to M-Rod .22 and P-Rod.

After living in the city for a long time, we just moved out to a few acres out in the Black Forest of Colorado Springs (you may have heard of the forest fire we had here a few years ago).  Anyway, my sons are now raising chickens, and we have all kinds of varmints out here, from squirrels and rabbits who like to pilfer the feed to raccoons and foxes who might like to eat the hens and their eggs.

I still had my trusty Daisy 880 from my childhood, but besides not being accurate or strong enough to take care of any of my problems, it's pump just wasn't maintaining pressure anymore.  So
I went shopping for an air rifle.  I tried out the Benjamin Prowler .22 ($98 at Walmart), and got it sighted in at 10 yards.  But the moment I got it sighted in, my groups started drifting.  I felt like the scope wasn't keeping its settings, but I didn't want to ignore the possibility of operator error.  A friend came over with a Barska scope he had used on his Gamo break-barrel, and it was better but was still pretty inconsistent.  Turns out the barrel's locking position was in insistent, too.

I came to the conclusion that if I was going to effectively take my quarry, I'd need something more than a 100-buck special.  So I've been looking at pcp guns (not just because I would definitely need more practice with a springer, but also because I might as well step up to something  that should last.

I am trying to choose between the Benjamin Marauder .22 and the Marauder Pistol (possible the Woods Walker version), but I'm totally stalled out, perseverating about the decision.  I want something quiet enough to not scare off the squirrels or alarm the neighbors, powerful enough to even take a raccoon, accurate to 50 yards at least, still a lot of fun, and in the 4-700 price range.

dk1677:
Welcome to the GTA Michael!

SteveP-52:
Welcome to the GTA, Michael.

amb5500c:
Welcome to the GTA.
Richard

vigilandy:
Welcome Michael.   I moved out to the country and got into PCPs real quick.  Put your question in the PCP gate and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version