GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

Just warming up!

(1/2) > >>

mcoulter:
It's been more than a year since I visited my local rod and gun club.  I broke my ankle in the fall of 2015 so I basically took a year off from my membership.  Well, I rejoined over the holidays and finally got a calm enough day to get to the range and attempt 100 yards with my RWS 48 (.22).

We're in a bit of a cold snap here in Central New York.  It was about 18f outside but the winds were just about non-existent.  It has been a long time since I shot my .22 savage so I started out at 50 yards with that.  It's boring accurate.  :-)  So 40 rounds later I pull out the 48.  This past week my PA order came in with some JSB 18s (I have been out of them for a month or two...) so I figured what the heck, let's give it a try!

Here's what it looks like from where you shoot:

And here's a screenshot from Google Earth.  So the far target is 100 yards:

Now in spite of the cold, it was actually pretty busy there.  It made me realize how much more I like shooting from my backyard shed...  And yes, it take awhile to get used to other people shooting large-caliber centerfire around you! 

Here's my setup.  While I hated it at first, I am actually starting to get decent results with the Caldwell shooting bag.  My RWS 48 has a UTG 4-16x40 scope. 

It took 15 or so shots to see where I was hitting at that distance.  And yes, the snow helps quite a bit!  Now this is why I say that I'm just warming up...  The best group wasn't on an official target at all.  It was just a sticker on a piece of scrap plastic that was laying around. 

So here's the best 5-shot group I achieved at 100 yards with JSB 18s:

The furthest shot was about 2 3/4 inches off the bullseye:

The shots at the official target were not quite as good.  AND I apparently lost track of which target I was shooting at.  As you can see one of these has 7 shots on it...

And here they are together:

So I'm hooked!  I can't wait to get another calm day to try this again!

:D :D :D

marty2:
Lookin good there Matt. I bet it wont be long before you get an official target posted.

Ridge Runner:
Hey Matt,

That is pretty good for a sproinger!  Can't wait to see what else you show us!

Tweeter:
Nice shooting Matt!  Long range shooting is addicting isn't it?   Most of my shooting is just plinking for fun but always past 50 yards.  But, if it will ever warm up than I will try to improve on my last target with a new gun.   :D

Techie:
Wow, that's great.  That's about the size groups I'm getting at 30 yards with my new springers.  Hopefully I'll get better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version