GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

2nd Silver Home to Stay!

(1/44) > >>

Yng@hrt:
My boy’s mentioned there was going to be a gun show in Albuquerque this past weekend. In all the years I’ve lived here (15 minutes away), not once had I been to one. So we decided to go, but before going we scoped out a plan. I gave the boy’s a crash course on Dan’s, made sure they had pix on their I-phones, & split up when we got there to cover more ground.  Me & my oldest son were flying through the exhibits & finished in about 15 minutes…nothing. My youngest son is a little more aggressive. He talked to the folks at the booths. After we met up with him, I asked if he had any luck. He said I think so but that most of the vendors looked at him like he was nuts when he asked about Sheridan’s. I’m telling you… not too many folks out here know anything about this model. My son went onto say that one gentleman said he had a Silver Streak he would sell. Okay! Game on! I talked to him at length & he said it was at his cabin up North (at whatumacallitmountain) but wouldn’t be able to get up there until April, but would call me as soon as the snow clears; I will definitely follow up on that one.

We talked at length trading war stories & as I was leaving he mentioned this; just a minute…I use to work at a local gun shop & when I was there, there was a Sheridan out back that the guys used to shoot pigeons & tin cans with. He went on to say; in fact they have a booth across the way. So off we go to talk to the other guy. I explained the situation & he said ya we do have a Sheridan. It’s out in back of the shop & we still use it to shoot cans & birds with.

I finally got around to making the trip to the guys shop yesterday. I waited, & waited, & the guy finally comes to the counter holding this gun. It took everything I had to stay in; “dumb mode” & with a Silver steering you in the face, to say it was hard would be an understatement!  I Picked up the rifle & immediately noticed the serrated sight, Phillips head screw on the trigger guard, allen screw’s on the rear sight, ribbed flat platform, pinned bolt, original finish (wood) & finally the date…a ’65 (transition of serrated front sight). I hesitated for a minute, and then told the guy, yup it’s a Sheridan, & it looks like it’s been around the block a time or two. Does it shoot? We went out back where he had cans set up at 40 yds. By the 4th pump it was barring down. Went to 6 pumps & nailed the tin can.

I told him that I really didn’t need one but that I’d give him $50.00 cash. He took it in a heartbeat! I was out of there as fast as these old legs would carry me. What’s best is it isn’t a trailer queen but is still a looker. This one will definitely be one of our prized shooters. I plan on buffing her up a bit, lubing all contact points & plunger, running patches through the barrel, & conditioning the wood. Will post pix when done.

Yng@hrt:
...last 4

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
Good For You !   Very Nice Gun !   Smart Buy !  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :).      Best Wishes  -   Tom

Yng@hrt:
Thank you Tom!

Some advise would be appreciated (anyone); I would like to enhance the finish of this guns wood & nickel without taking away from its born appearance.

As for the nickel, I plan to use a liquid product called; Machine Polish 3, & Best of Show Wax. I use this product to polish & buff my cars, including the chrome with excellent results.

I was also wondering if anyone has ever tried power buffing the nickel? I use this method to get rid of scratches in chrome parts of vehicles. "Black" for aggressive removal of scratches (not as bad as it sounds), & "Blue" for a final buffing & polishing which leave an incredible shine. In fact every time I have the buffer out my wife hands me here rings. Looks as good as new.

Thanks

Flint:
Wow, $50??!!!!

I hate you now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version