GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

IA Benjamin/Sheridan Scope Base?

(1/3) > >>

Yng@hrt:
Hello Timmy, can you tell me what metal you use for this scope mount? In addition, if the metal is aluminum can it be ordered w/o the bluing?

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/product-p/iashba.htm

Thanks

TimmyMac1:
Material used in the manufacturing is 6061 T6. The Finish is Black color anodized aluminum. It will take a .001" off of the surface to strip the part of color. Easy Off Oven Cleaner will accomplish the stripping. That removes all corrosion. Anodizing is electricity delivered surface corrosion with black dye in the mix.
Stripping an anodized part is A good way to loosen a part fit if you made it a few thousanths too big on the OD or a few thou to small a hole on the ID. Color anodizing is Type 2.
I haven't asked for raw mounts. Should not be a problem. I'll check.
TimmyMac1

Yng@hrt:
On checking raw mounts, great! If not I should be able to power buff the bluing.

Thanks Timmy!

TimmyMac1:

--- Quote from: Yng@hrt on February 21, 2017, 07:45:33 PM ---On checking raw mounts, great! If not I should be able to power buff the bluing.

Thanks Timmy!

--- End quote ---

Surface anodizing is 45+ Rockwell hardness. Aluminum Oxide can sand steel or sand anodizing off aluminum, but you will not buff anything off. You can buff once you use abrasives to remove the hardened surface layer. Since it is a square part you could sand finish it easy on a belt sander.
TimmyMac1

TimmyMac1:
I like anodized aluminum because the Threads are really sound. Rare to have a stripped fastener in  an anodized part.
TimmyMac1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version