GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Wolverine Hunting

(1/23) > >>

wolverine:
i figured i'd start 1 thread and keep adding to it as more prey fall to my air rifles.

i arrived home around 11:15pm after an uneventful shift at the correctional center.
looking out the back garage door as i always do, i see nothing unusual.
i don't have the motion alarms on so as not to disturb my wife who is already in bed and feeling ill.
before undressing, i take a look out the upstairs bedroom window and spot a raccoon at the bird feeder on the deck, another one near the brush pile, and a small opossum just off the deck in the lawn.

i grab my Brocock Contour S6 that always sits next my bed and silently open the window.  the raccoon on the feeder turns.  it's cautious and stops eating several times to look through the french door into the lit up kitchen, but not smart enough to look up.  the second raccoon is at the brush pile sniffing around and the opossum skulks away towards the fence.

i decide to take the raccoon at the feeder. i try to focus the hawke, but the target is less than 10yds.  i turn on the red light to see the cross hairs and take aim at the top of it's head between its eyes.

with an effortless squeeze of the trigger the Brocock sends a domed .22 H&N pellet at the raccoon striking it with 15 fpe and sending it into a dance of death that has it tumbling and turning until it finally comes to rest on the lawn just off the deck. i quickly take aim at the brush pile, but raccoon #2 is gone.

it's tuesday night.  garbage was collected this morning.  where does one store a dead raccoon for a week with temperatures reaching the mid forties?

dk1677:
Nice shooting Carl!

pepegraves:
Nice shot, Carl. It sounds like you would like to have gotten them both...In that case I would have shot the one near the fence first. I say that because the one near the fence has the quickest escape route.. It would hear the commotion and exit out of your sight before you could reload and get a good bead on it..The one on the porch, however would have a long way to travel out of your sight after it hears the shot. You would have more time to reload and aim simply because it has a longer way to travel to get out of your sight.

Where to store it. Well, I know a lot of people don't do this but, we have a long family tradition of eating a coon on Thanksgiving and, boy are they delicious...Granted I have never cooked one. It was always my Grandfather who did them. I haven't eaten 1 since the 70's but, I'm trying to bring the tradition back....

Maybe there is someone you know that would be glad to take him off your hands for table fare...They are delicious if prepared the right way....

Oh, I might add...I would not eat the city dwelling, trash dumpster raiding variety...only "country" coons should make it to the table...my  $.02

Hajimoto:
Nice anti-Trash patrol!  8)
Thanks for sharing the photo of the kill

Wayne52:
Great shooting Carl !!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version